Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchiesMommie View Post
I think JRTs are absolutely adorable, but as a potential first time dog owner, they are so not on my list. They actually were at first, to a lay person they seem like a great companion for a little boy. And then there was Frasier, which was actually cited on another site for portraying a false image that JRTs are perfectly happy living in a tiny apartment.
Now, it is possible for JRT's to live in an apartment (My Kona is a JRT mix, and she is fine!), you just have to know how to deal with, train, and exercise them properly. When they aren't physically and mentally stimulated ALL THE TIME, it can lead to disaster.

As for the hyper comment...

They are indeed hyper. High energy, active dogs (also known as hyper dogs) are just that! It isn't a temperament issue, it's simply the JRT's lifestyle.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Just try me..

Just to point out, some of the byb types are calmer and less aggressive, sometimes to the point of passivity (and thus less JRT) because all the hunt has been bred out. There are puppy mills that brag about how their JRTs are soo calm and laid back. If you don't want a high energy drivey quirky dog DON'T get a JRT! Even some of the very best bred ones can be dog aggressive/reactive.

The most important thing to remember is this is a dog that is bred to squeeze down a tight dark tunnel alone and come face to face with a fox/groundhog/raccoon/badger in its own den. There is a certain amount of aggression required. The other thing with JRTs is the tendency to escalate with pain. This is why shock collars and punishment training can seriously backfire. In a fight they often do damage, and seldom back down. There are many stories of JRTs fighting with things (coyotes, quarry other dogs) to fight to the death. Many people get these dogs without knowing the tendencies of the breed, and many end up in rescue for attacking the cat, biting the child, attacking another dog. JRTRO is the only rescue I know that doesn't bat an eye at accepting a dog that has bitten. 99***37; of JRTs in an inappropriate situation will bite.

Lynn is right, you have to have a sense of humour (and it helps if its a bit warped) living with these dogs.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:27 AM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

Lynn is right, you have to have a sense of humour (and it helps if its a bit warped) living with these dogs.
I totally agree there!

Question... do all JRT's have a high tennis ball drive?

Kona LOVES her tennis balls, and will do anything to get hers. I thought about putting her into flyball in a year or two
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 AM
CASSA

The WORKING JRTS ive met on Farms are GREAT.
Many of my clients with LGDS use them believe or not to HERD teh horses back in.

MOST NOT all the pet show folk ive met have horrible temperament.

I did show some rare breed years ago in MASS/CT and the dogs were great.
But i remember they are working lines.
I won because the Pet Expo has a Rabbit exhibit 2 rows down and I used that to my advantage . I baited the dog in the same direction as those rabbits and he was ON.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Just try me..

Mine are all ball-aholics. But I can't let dekka have a tennis ball or she hides with it, and slowly pulls all the fuzz off, all the while with her eyes 1/2 closed in an expression of doggie bliss. But I have met many JRTs that are not interested in balls.

I use road hockey balls or a wubba (so my non tugging dogs might tug a bit)
Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Angel Chicken

Right at the moment... Kona is sleeping next to me.

With 8... let me say that again. 8 tennis balls, and two torn in half tennis dumb bells.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Top Dog

living with a JRT, you need quite a few things:

PATIENCE, and lots of it.
a sense of humor (and yes, warped does help)
a lot of energy
most patience. patience to outsmart them before they outsmart you, patience to make sure they still THINK they're outsmarting you, patience to say "no" thirty six times in a half hour, patience to get off your ass and find something for them to do when they're bored and climbing up the walls, patience to understand when he tried to rip the cats head off, he thinks he's doing the right thing, patience to take the time to make sure he understands ripping the cats head off is NOT the right thing...etc.

living with a JRT is like living with a mute two year old with a violent streak that never quite makes it to three.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
living with a JRT is like living with a mute two year old with a violent streak that never quite makes it to three.
I couldn't agree more!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Chicken View Post

As for the hyper comment...

They are indeed hyper. High energy, active dogs (also known as hyper dogs) are just that! It isn't a temperament issue, it's simply the JRT's lifestyle.
I do NOT agree. There is a no comparison between a high energy, active dog and one that is Hyper. How many JRTS (not a half bred) have you lived with, trained, rescued and bred??? How many do you know, directly?
At this point I have known a few thousand directly. I have certainly rescued or known hyper Jrts, some were the product of their genetics (breeding) and some were the product of 'no job and somebodies idea of NOT getting off their *** to train the dog or interact with other than throwing a ball. Hyper according to Webster means Excessively.
Good grief if they were so hyper no one could stand to be a trial with them!!!
Try going to the JRTCA Nationals in Maryland in Oct. There is usually about 1800 + Jrts on the grounds on any given day. It's quiet. The ONLY time you will see the dogs being loud and hyper is on the day they hold the Racing.
Even in the line ups (which btw are very long) for Go-To-Ground, you *may* see some dogs over the top.
I have lived with as many as 17 Jrts at ONCE, I don't have kennels although I do have yards for the dogs. But I sure didn't have enough kennels for all those dogs, therefore many of them were in the house until they had their turn out. ALL the dogs slept in the house at night. Most of those dogs were rescues. I've had hyper jrts come in as rescues, but it is amazing how they quickly settle in and calm down.
Btw, I also have neighbors and I have NEVER had a complaint about barking dogs.............

Lynn
Old 06-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post

I had several replies to this statement, but I have decided not to. When I know that I am replying to very limited knowledge and experience.

Lynn