Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Top Dog

Default Jack Russell Terriers

I did a search on Chaz concerning JRT's, wow there are a lot of people who feel so negative about them. Now having said that, I know why, they can be absolutely miserable little creatures if not bred and raised correctly. And sadly that is the case with so many of them, when people don't consider temperament when breeding and/or placing them with people that have no clue as to how to raise and train them. People purchase them thinking they are getting a cute little lap dog, when in fact they are getting a dog that is first and foremost a hunting dog, with high prey drives and lots of energy, and usually combined with brains (although I have met a few really stupid ones and that is scary = reactive, high drives and stupid gezz combine that with a stupid owner and the world isn't safe).
Nothing drives me more nuts than hearing people with jrts, try and justify how poorly their dogs behave, or yap their fool heads of at anything that moves, breaths or is just there.......that is not a breed trait its a training issue. The classic line is 'Well its a JRT and that is what they do." BS, imo. As for being hyper, I wouldn't own such a dog regardless of breed, let alone breed it.
I am always proud of my dogs and how they behave, yes they can raise hell if someone pulls into the driveway, but a quiet 'Enough' from me, stops it immediately. So they do have an 'off switch', my dogs for the most part are couch potatoes but can and do rise to the occassion when asked to. I haven't got a jrt in the house that would give you so much as a dirty look, let alone bite or snap and they always politely move if asked to. They are bed bugs and love to cuddle, they are also hunting dogs. I don't have a dog in the house that hasn't been proven as a true hunting dog in the earth.
Now I am not trying to change anyones opinion on this breed, I understand that some folks just are not fond of small dogs in general and others have had bad experiences etc. But please the next time, someone tells you 'But its a jrt and that is what they do', tell them B*lls**t and that Lynn of Ado Jack Russell Terriers said so!!!!
Thanks and Take care
Lynn
Old 01-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Top Dog

Do you want to travel the horse show circuit and give lectures? Every third person has a JRT, and every other one is completely out of control. Thankfully, shows seem to provide some great socialization, so it's not usually aggression, just zero training. Plus about 50% are still intact, so they can be bred to sell the puppies at the shows .

Having said that, I have met the occasional JRT who has been trained, and they can be some of the funniest (in a good way) dogs I've ever met.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

I try to keep an open mind, but unfortunately have had bad experiences with Jack Russells. My puppy has been viciously attached twice now by JRT's. One of them had ahold of the skin on her face and would not let go. It was awful. When I see them in the dog park, we just wait until they leave. I would love to meet one trained properly!!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

Ado you are soooooo very right!!!!
These little dogs are not for first time owners. And they are not for people who are not willing to train. They are also not for people who want a "little dog" just to have as a lap warmer. These are not dogs for LITTLE DOG people who like toys and low key animals. These are working dogs equivallent to any large working breed. They are different from any other dog or terrier for that matter.
These dogs are EXTREMELY intelligent, quick learners, have big dog attitudes and are independant thinkers. These traits make them very easy to train, but can make an untrained JRT very difficult to live with. Not training a JRT is equal to not training a working border collie (or any other high energy, intelligent breed). They will find things to do, exhibit behaviour problems, and become nasty little critters if let to their own accord.
The ones most often with behaviour problems such as aggression or hyperactivity either come from bad breeders, or owners who have no clue.
Often, when I tell people that I have a JRT, they state "Oh!! They're crazy". These are the people that have no clue about training or behaviour. They are the ones that know so and so, who keep their JRT in the back yard all day, and it barks and never shuts up.
I love these little dogs, I love their attitude, their extreme intelligence and their independence. They are lovers, cuddlers, loyal and great companion dogs when trained correctly. However, I would probably never recommend this breed to most people that I know. Research needs to be done before the purchase of any breed, but especially JRT's or any other high energy working breed. Too many people buy on a whim, or because they saw that breed on TV and it was "so cute and smart". That is the worst reason to purchase a dog.
Anyway, I'm done, just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Brandy: The B Hive (JRT) - ADC, SGDC, AADC, RPT, RNMCL, CL2, CL3-R, CL3-H, CL3-S, HIT Agility JRTRO 2009 Trial

Pet Portraits, Design & Photography
www.juliesillustration.com

www.dogznart.blogspot.com
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

after getting Milo, i don't think i will ever live without a "Jack Rascal", as my grandmother so fondly nicknamed him, in my home ever again.

Milo is everything i anticipated a jack russell would be. this is definately, definately, not a dog for a first time owner (even though i am a first time owner, i've been around dogs my whole life, and did a ton, a ton, a ton of research). This breed needs to have someone paying attention to them, constantly. they are so, so so so smart. i swear, Milo is like a mute two year old. He is relentless when he wants something. He is the most intelligent, loving, playful, spunky dog i have ever known. however, i wouldn't ever recommend a jack russell to someone unless i knew they would be devoted and fully prepared for such an intense breed. for an avid dog lover and experienced dog owner, this is a fun, challanging, perfect breed. but for someone not experienced or not prepared, this is a disaster waiting to happen. people who don't do their research before getting a dog discust me. and anyone who owns a jack russell and realizes afterwards they can't take care of it and provide enough stimulation to keep it occupied, and ends up giving the dog up, is in my opinion, someone who shouldn't own an animal, ever.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
I try to keep an open mind, but unfortunately have had bad experiences with Jack Russells. My puppy has been viciously attached twice now by JRT's. One of them had ahold of the skin on her face and would not let go. It was awful. When I see them in the dog park, we just wait until they leave. I would love to meet one trained properly!!
my jack russell is very aggressive towards other dogs, sometimes. other times he's best friends with them. but i would never let Milo offleash somewhere where we might run into another dog.

and believe me, when they don't want to let go, they will NOT let go.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

The owner of the JRT that attacked my puppy twice has been warned by the Park Ranger to keep the dog out of the dog park or on leash, but he ignores it. Others have also complained. It's terrible that he was trained so poorly because it's not fair to him. His owner is irresponsible and unworthy of owning a dog, in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

I have a good friend who got into JRT's around 15 years ago, she's now a judge, breeds occasionally, works, shows, and rescues a ton of them . She must be up to about 10 right at this time in her rescue as well as her own dogs.

I give her alot of credit, her dogs are all very friendly but alot of work, she never turns one away in need. In fact she's taken in a 13 yr old that was brought to the vet to be put down because it was deaf and they just got a new puppy,,YIKES..so many people get these dogs (as with any) for the wrong reason.
Diane
Old 01-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Emma is 1/2 JRT and while I love her dearly.. I don't think I could deal with a full JRT.

www.lppboutique.com
Old 01-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
The owner of the JRT that attacked my puppy twice has been warned by the Park Ranger to keep the dog out of the dog park or on leash, but he ignores it. Others have also complained. It's terrible that he was trained so poorly because it's not fair to him. His owner is irresponsible and unworthy of owning a dog, in my opinion.
don't let this change your opinion of JRTs, they often fall into the wrong hands. it's 100% the owners fault here.