Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Default Tracking or trailing classes

How can I find these type of classes for Brady around my area? What requirements will they have for a class like this? Anyone have any experience with these classes?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Top Dog

Anyone?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

I sure dont know. Seems like people must not look at some of these other threads anymore. Think everyone might assume its teachers job! Wish I could help you.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

Thanks becca! I guess I can't blame them, I only look in here every now and then or if something cathces my eye while I am on the main page. Oh well, maybe I will find a good class for him one day. I will just keep researching it.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

I found some with the breeders of certain dogs. If you know GSD's in your area, or other tracking dog breeders you can usually call them and they will recommend people to you. Hope that helps!

Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

Good idea tcreed! Thank you so much!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Felurian

I'm having the same problem with herding training, Bogo. I've e-mailed the East Tennessee Herding Association. I got an e-mail back initially, returned an e-mail with the information about my dogs and what I wanted to accomplish, and that's the last I've heard from them. I guess if you don't have a Border Collie and need to use your herding dogs for more than sport no one wants to be bothered . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

I guess not. Have you been teaching them youself thus far? Which of your dogs know how to heard? Who are you trying to teach? Kharma? Shiva? Or are you trying to teach Bimmer to heard the girls? LOL! I bet he can already do that!

My dream job would be able to learn how to do these things and teach them to other people. Even if I could only make the money that I make now, I would not care. I would rather be happy and love what I do.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Felurian

Oh, they all herd instinctively. I just can't get Kharma to STOP! She keeps working the cows until she's got them all together where she wants them, and she does it whenever she decides they need to be herded. She's so good at it she can herd the entire 70+ head all by herself, bulls and calves too. She just can't be outside loose during daylight now because we can't convince her to leave the cows alone unless we tell her.

Bimmer just picked up on me telling him "Go to work" on his own - no training at all. I knew he was going to be a good herd dog when I caught him herding Gomez, the cat, lol! Buffy picked it up from him. Shiva doesn't have quite the same instincts (show lines ), but she's catching on. She'd still rather stay with us than go do what she's told though.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Big Dog

Call the police!

(Just kidding! Sorry, I've always wanted to tell someone to do that here... rofl!)(Is it bad netiquette to rofl at your own stupid jokes?)

Okay, Tracking and Trailing. I would, seriously, phone your local Sherriff's office and ask them. Or, if you have a Search and Rescue squad ask them as well. Quite often they know who trains tracking dogs, because they work side by side on drills.

You can start tracking by getting a book on nosework. Play, "Find it!" in the house for some kibble. Also, if you have a large backyard, hide behind a tree, make silly noises and have your dog find you! It's a start.

Be back with the book we use. Great fun on rainy days with the energy boy.