Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Border Collie vs. Australian Shepherd

Still debating on a dog breed. I've always liked the looks of the Aussie much more then the Border Collie from a personal prospective. After going on the USDAA's web site I see that the Border Collie wins like every Agility Trial in their height class... With a few Aussie's in the mix. My question to you is this...

Is the Border Collie more athletic then the Aussie or is it just that the Aussie is lesser in numbers in the U.S. and that is why the Border Collie's always steal the show. B/C to my they seem like the same dog just slight variations.

Thx in advance.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Are you dead yet?

The BC is more athletic than the aussie in terms of agility. While Aussies are very agile, a BC can turn on a dime and stop in a split second, thanks to their lighter, slimmer frames.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

With all due respect Fandogg, and I don't know quite how to say it, but it seems you change your mind every other day. Your indecisions should be a clue that you really don't know what your getting into when owning a dog. If you want a dog for companionship, simply go down to your local shelter and get yoursef a mutt (best of all breeds all rolled into one ) The fact that you can't make up your mind just proves that you really don't want a dog for any other reason. And quite frankly shouldn't have one for any other reason than companionship. When you start talking about agility, This is for very experienced dog owners. And when you can't even decide on the breed, just proves you have no experience in this area. I've grown up with dogs. I can't remember when I didn't have one and I won't even pretend to know what goes into training them for "agility". I just simply love them for what they are.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way. It's just constructive critizism

Last edited by avenlee; 04-23-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Felurian

Actually, Fanndog's narrowing his focus quite a bit and looking ahead. He's posted a couple of other threads explaining that right now he's working with his "family" dogs and showing them a bit. Now is the time to be hashing through all of this type of thing, realizing that it's theoretical and a process of gathering information at this point.

I have a feeling that when the time comes he's going to make the final decision based on which individual dog he connects best with that fits in best with his lifestyle and ambitions.

Truthfully, Fandogg, even though I think the Border Collies are amazing, as a breed I prefer the Aussie with its edgier temperament.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-23-2005, 10:49 AM
no touchy

Border Collies are a pretty athletic breed. Very quick and intelligent. But like I said on your other post---they can and will challenge their owners.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:14 PM
no touchy

I believe he has two Shih Tzus.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:20 PM
~3 Mutts~

Yes, the thread on showing mentions Shih Tzus I believe.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purr
Yes, the thread on showing mentions Shih Tzus I believe.

His parents dogs.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Felurian

lol, his parents' "girly dogs" right Fanndog?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian