paralyzed

Maxy24

i have a leopard frog who during the summer was let out of his habitat by my cat. At the time he was living in one of those plastic grow a frog things. I found him the same day that he got out but his eyes seemed funny, one was bulging out and the pupil was dilated. It's been four or five months since then and his eyes look normal but i know he is blind in his right eye, he can still catch his food but now i am having a bigger problem. I finally got him a ten gallon tank. The water is more spacious and deeper than he had before so i quickly noticed the problem. My frog was having an extremely difficult time swimming. He would go in a circle and then laid on his back like he was dead. I picked him up and put him on a rock but he rolled onto his right side and just laid there. so i put him right side up and he just sat there. i fed him and he was doing strange flips when he jumped, but he still caught the cricket. He has figured out that if he puts his arm on the edge of the water container he can hold his nose above water. I am wondering if maybe he is paralyzed on his right side. Or could this just result from being blind? If he is paralyzed what should i do to make sure he does not drown? He can still eat just fine. Do you think he will adapt to not being able to use his right back leg (he can definably use the front one)?

well first off, definately take out some of the water. Dont make it deep enough for him to swim and sink, just enough that he can sit in it.

Maxy24

that's what i did but i don't know if it's ok to keep it like that. I know they drink and breath through their skin so it needs to be kept moist. If i leave the water shallow do you think i should mist his back so that the skin will not dry out?

that probably wouldn't hurt but I am not an expert on frog care so I am just guessing. Tey also make a little device that is basically a tiny mist machine. I have one and it works wonderfully. You should go to your local pet store and see if you can pick one up. It would keep the humidity up and keep everything in the tank moist.

Members online

No members online now.