Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 12-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Walks into Mordor

Unhappy Matted kitty

My poor Yoda. He's a mess! I just found out that he has massive matting all over his body.

I never noticed them before because they're all in the undercoat of his beautiful fur. You don't see them. You don't even feel them while petting him. But yesterday, I was checking for fleas and noticed that my poor kitty is covered with massive mats.

It's bad. All over his back, sides, tummy and even tail. I feel like such a horrible cat owner for not noticing. How can I remove them? I'm thinking that my only recourse may be to get Yoda shaved. But he has such a beautiful coat, and I'm afraid that it may not grow back the same way.

Ideas?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

My cat is the same way......I just discovered mats really close to his skin. He is going to the groomers on Saturday and getting a "Lion cut". That's where they shave the whole body except for the top half of the tail, the feet, and they don't shave above the sholders towards the head.
He is a inside cat so I would think even with being shaved the temps shouldn't affect him????
It is about $75 but should last about 3 months at least before he is back in full coat.

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

My grandparents got theirs shaved when they got to old to wrestle with her to brush her and i think it always grew in the same-She never looked happy after the shaves though She looked like a squirel to me.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Puppy Dog

I second the lion cut idea - with requests for pics!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

Aww..poor thing, you could try gently brushing it out using dematting conditioners..or you might have to go with shaving him.. Here is a pic I couldn't resist posting...this is one pis$ed cat.Lion Cut.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Squishy face

Its probably best to shave the cat. Trying to brush it out will only result in a lot of pain for the cat.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 12-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivien View Post
Aww..poor thing, you could try gently brushing it out using dematting conditioners..or you might have to go with shaving him.. Here is a pic I couldn't resist posting...this is one pis$ed cat.Lion Cut.
THAT is the cutest picture! My cat has been shaved before. You would swear he thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. He really strutted his stuff!

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Active Pup

I have Ragdoll cats, so I do shave them some times in the summer so they stay cooler, ect, not because of matts. I brush my cats and handle them often so I don't have cats with massive matts. I have noticed my older seal point grows her hair back the same, but it does seem to be getting darker, it could be just because she is aging, but I noticed it got darker after shaving her. Occationally, my cats will start to get a matt under their armpitts, but I get a brush or sizzors immediately to prevent any "massive matting" it can be very painfull to have them, it pulls their skin, so if you can't keep kitty brushed, shave him, so he isn't hurting from them.