Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 12-20-2006, 02:46 PM
Top Dog

Thanks darkchild16, I thought he was pretty cute too

Well now, I'm most likely going to get at least some X-Rays done when the vet calls-- then the nervous wait for the results begins I hope that nothing that will require lots of opinions or interpretation shows up! Like BostonBanker noted in her story--sometimes things show up and you have to make a decision about what you can live with, are willing to take a chance on etc.....maybe deep down one of the other reasons I was hesitating a bit on X-Rays is I'm afraid of having to make one of those judgement calls, afraid I'll make the wrong decision...either too conservative, or not conservative enough....well I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well and I won't be fretting or on the phone with vets for the next few days!!!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Happy

I just wanted to say he's beautiful. Good luck with him! I hope all goes well.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

What you are saying makes sense to me. Hocks and front feet would be my biggest concerns. I know a lot of people don't do the stifle; I think we actually did it after we did the others; stifle is another fairly common place for OCD, and a much more difficult place to operate on if the lesions do need to be removed. Let the flexions tell you the rest. Is your regular vet doing the vetting? If not, I would suggest having him/her take a look at the x-rays as well before you make a decision. The vet who did Tristan's vetting in Canada actually didn't mention the lesions; my vet here found them.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Mistress Wigglebutt

Congrats on the purchase!

I would think with the sizeable prices you were looking at on horses before that it would definitely be worth it. On a $1200 horse, I wouldn't bother, but if I do recall the prices that were mentioned when you were asking before, I would go with it. Better safe than sorry, IMHO, especially when you're investing any amount of money.

-----
Puppy Whiskers, Callie Dog and my Angel, trimming and watering the grass at Rainbow Bridge while they wait for me.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Dog Show Addict

What are you doing?! Get that boy into Western Pleasure lmao! j/k j/k.. i"m just a Western rider.. hehe

Honestly though if you are into jumping get BOTH hocks Xrayed no matter what else you do. Hocks are essential for a jumper. I'd also get the front legs done as well.. the rest of the back are optional IMO..

I knew of a horse that was as young and had just as much training on him as this guy and he was vetted with Xrays and they found he wasn't sound enough for the work they wanted to do with him (Reining).
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 12-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Thanks again for the well wishes and the good advice everybody!

Definitely no Western pleasure classes in this boy's future Summeriot LOL! His trot is HUGE --I don't know if he could pitter patter those legs of his if he tried!---and yes, I have heard of very young horses showing problems only visible by X-Ray--so I'm defintely doing at least front feet and of course hocks. I don't know for sure if he will be an over fences hunter, but I'm hoping he shows some ability for it down the line--but for know we will be concetrating on getting good basics and eventually some undersaddle classes. I'm so nervous something will go wrong tomorrow!
Old 12-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

Did he get vetted today?

Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Yep and it seems so far all went really well. All flexion, breathing, heart, and hoof tester stuff was fine--vet said he has nice feet. He only noted that he does toe out slightly on one foot---overall he didn't seem to have any significant findings. I then requested the navicular series of X-rays--5 screens of each front foot and the hock series--2 screens of each hock. He said he would have the results late tonight or early tomorrow morning. He is then going to Fed-ex them to my regular vet. So....I'll know more tomorrow--still holding my breath a bit, but so far so good!
Old 12-22-2006, 06:18 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like a promising start! Good luck with the x-rays!

Old 12-22-2006, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

OMG I'm getting so nervous...its 3:15pm and I still have not heard from the vet...I guess he just got busy. I left him a message about an hour ago. I mean even if its bad news I still would think he would call...so I guess I shouldn't be nervous.....I'll post as soon as hear.....