Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

My first thoughts were exactly what Doc said. Goldens are *supposed to be*extremely dog friendly and friendly all the way around for that matter. A particularly dog friendly mutt is always wonderful too.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Are you dead yet?

Are we talking "OMGOMG I LOVE YOU!" upon meeting friendly, or polite and accepting friendly?

Goldens, Labs, Setters etc are the most demonstrative, but as BostonBanker pointed out, they are extremely friendly to the point of being a bit too much for some dogs. If you have a very reserved dog, I wouldn't get a happy-go-lucky Labrador and expect the two to hit it off.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I think any dog at the pound would pass for dog friendly Afterall, most humane societys put dogs through tests before they get put up for adoption ACD's can be dog aggressive but my boy is very friendly and loves to play with other dogs. I just wish he was like that with human strangers
Old 12-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Puppy Dog

We're getting a Brittany in the spring...how do they fair with Goldens and Labs? I've ready they are dog/people friendly as well.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather170277 View Post
We're getting a Brittany in the spring...how do they fair with Goldens and Labs? I've ready they are dog/people friendly as well.
Brittanys are great dogs, I personally have never met a nasty one though I'm sure they exist just like everything else. They are a hunting dog though and require a fair amount of exercise. Make sure you are going through a reputable breeder who has a contract for buying there pups and does all the necessary health testing.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

Brittanys can be a little wound up , but it depends on the breeding and socialization . I've just stuck to goldens for 60 years because they are for me and me for them .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Puppy Dog

Yes, the breeder we getting "her" from has been breeding them for 13 years and he uses them for hunting. Ours will be a companion pet, partaking in flyball or some sort of exercise like that.

He fully guarantees the health and temperment of his pups. I've gone onto hunting websites where people have his dogs and they have nothing but praise for him and his dogs.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

thanks i really like irish setters, golden and labrador retrievers my dog will be a mix because i find they tend to be healthier than purebreds that you find in a shelter (if you find any) I think I probally like the Irish setter (i also like english setters) best because they are not as well known as labs and goldens, I've heard boxers can be same sex aggressive but does anyone know how they do with the opposite sex?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:33 PM
Big Dog

I too can vouch for golden retrievers being a wonderful dog-friendly breed. My Melvin (7 years old) has always lived with 2 other dogs (until we had to put Ginger down about 2 weeks ago), and he's always adjusted to other animals and befriends them quickly...he's just so full of sloppy love, that his heart is big enough for everyone, I guess.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Owned by Belgians

Everybody says that about Goldens, but my dog has been attacked twice by (different) Goldens, once in a Petsmart. And the Golden down the street sure doesn't like him when we walk near his house.

My dog happens to like all dogs, so it wasn't his fault.