Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Active Pup

Default irregular stools

Hello

My 8 1/2 month old Dobe has some weird digestion problems that someone out there could shed some light on.

She usually has 3-4 bowel movements a day. Most of those are nice and solid except for one (usually in the afternoons but not always) that is diahrhea.

We feed the same food, no treats and nothing changes except she will have diahrhea at least once a day for no reason (as I said, all other stools in the day are perfectly solid). She also has bad gas.

This makes no sense. We dont do anything differently food wise. I can understand if all her bowel movements were soft, but its just the one every day......any ideas?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Lord Cynical

What are you feeding, and how much?

Dobes can have very sensitive tummies, especailly at that age. My girl went through a period where loose stools were very common, regardless of diet.

As a rule, Dobes need a high quality diet - they do not tolerate poor quality food as well as some other breeds.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Active Pup

I feed Solid Gold WolfCub for large breed puppies. Its a pretty high quality food but does contain grains (rice, millet, barley....but not corn or wheat). I was told to try a kibble with no grain in it at all (such as Innova EVO) but all those are high in protien, fat and calcium and would probably be innapropriate for a large breed puppy.

I decided to switch to Canidae today. It still has grains but just brown and white rice. We'll see how that goes.

I agree about the sensitive stomach with Dobes. This isnt the first time ive heard that so i'm glad to hear its not uncommon and it just might be a phase she is going through.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Active Pup

oh, i forgot to answer your second question......we feed around 6-7 cups a day (over 2 feedings). Its just a little over whats reccomended on the label since she is a bit on the lean side.

The other thing we notice is that she does produce quite a bit of stool (along with alot of stinky gas), so we include some digestive enzyme tablets and a spoonful of yogurt with each meal which helps a little but not much.

How many calories/day should a 8-9 month old Dobe puppy be getting anyway? How much do you feed your dobes?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

The loose stool could be dues to stress. Are you or she doing anything special ( different ) an hour before the loose stool ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Active Pup

not really, although it does usually happen in the afternoon after we let her out of the crate that she's been in for 3-4hrs and take her for a long walk(but she sleeps in the crate overnight and her stools in the morning are perfect). We dont crate her on weekends at all but she still has loose stools...weird.

Oh well....hopefully its just a phase (although this has been going on since 4 mnths old
Old 12-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

Could be excitement from crate to play ?

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Sometimes diarrhea comes from over-feeding. Remember, you don't want too feed to much or it can cause growth problems. Large breed puppies are best kept very lean while growing.

I think Canidae was a good choice. It does great things for stool problems in most dogs. You may want to consider adding a probiotic supplement as well. This helps a lot with gas and diarrhea. Trust me, I have a bulldog and they are the gassiest breed on earth, lol! I have managed to control all of her gas through nutrition and probiotics.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:28 PM
But please, call me Barb

One of these days I'm going to type this entire thing out and keep a copy, but here's the short nutshell!
I had months of "weird" poop with Dante.
Spend boo-koo bucks in testing (EPI, SIBO included) and it turned out he had Giardia. The first two "regular" Giardia tests came back negative and it wasn't until they ran a Giardia Antigen that they got the positive. A couple of round of antibiotics cleared up the Giarida but left him with 'soft' poop. Giardia can also cause malabsorbtion and appeared to have with Dante as I was able to cut back the total amount of food intake per day by almost 1/2.
I then moved to a lower fat food (less than 15%) and went back to feeding 3x a day after hearing so many say that over feeding will cause runny/soft stools.
He's been solid/firm for over a year now!
Old 12-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

My ACD started having loose stool alot around the age of your pup now. I was feeding Natural balance regular, Innova, and Innova evo and even tried the raw diet for a few months but nothing helped. I finally started him on Natural balance Venison and Brown rice diet recently and he is now 18 months old, his stool is finally firm and not soft and runny anymore . I spoke to my vet and we both came to the conclusion that he may have a reaction to chicken and turkey and needed a food with one single source protein and one carbohydrate source that isn't commonly used in dog food. It has worked wonders Good luck! Oh and by the way Innova and Natural balance are made for all lifestages for any breed.