Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Bobsk8

I used Frontline when I first got Smokey and after 3 months I discovered that she still had fleas . I decided to switch to K9 Advantix and it solved a couple of problems for me. One, it got rid of all the fleas for good!!! Secondly, in Georgia, Mosquitoes are a real issue and the new park behind me condo has a large pond ( or small lake depending on how you look at it) and the Geese and the mosquitoes have decided to camp there permanently. The Advantix not only kills both the fleas and the mosquitoes put it repels them , whereas the Frontline only kills the fleas after they bite your dog. Frontline does nothing for mosquitoes, so while Smokey was on Frontline, I was constantly being followed by a formation of hungry mosquitoes when I walked Smokey.

The downside to Advantix, as was alread mentioned is that it is toxic to cats for a couple of days after it is applied. If I owned a cat, I wouldn't use Advantix period. Now Advantage doesn't have the mosquitoe repellant and tick protection, but it is not toxic to cats.

http://www.nofleas.com/About-Advantage.asp

This summer, my Vet, who had only stocked Frontline has added Advantix and
Advantage to his stock, mostly because of complaints that the Frontline customers had about Frontline's effectivness.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Owned by 2 Rough Collies

I use Revolution and have for many years as it does not contain Ivermectin.
It kills fleas and the eggs and also controls ear mites. It also is a heartworm preventative.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

We're in Ontario, I've never seen a tick before.. We were on revolution and went to the catskills area of NY.. Vet told us it was adequate tick protection. Wrong type of ticks..

Friend we went to visit in NY was using frontline, and finding it wasn't preventing ticks in the past year, so switched to advantix which did seem to work till recently. She ended up wit ha dog with lyme and the other was diagnosed with a different tick borne disease today.

Her vet told her that they are making a apparently better flea and tick preventative which should be available in spring and that it sounds liek a better solution to at least the tick problem.

Mighty glad we are tick free up here..
Old 12-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Owned by 2 Rough Collies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
We're in Ontario, I've never seen a tick before.. We were on revolution and went to the catskills area of NY.. Vet told us it was adequate tick protection. Wrong type of ticks..

Friend we went to visit in NY was using frontline, and finding it wasn't preventing ticks in the past year, so switched to advantix which did seem to work till recently. She ended up wit ha dog with lyme and the other was diagnosed with a different tick borne disease today.

Her vet told her that they are making a apparently better flea and tick preventative which should be available in spring and that it sounds liek a better solution to at least the tick problem.

Mighty glad we are tick free up here..

Never had a problem with ticks BEFORE Revolution and there are acres of woods not 100 feet from my back door. However, as I said I have Collies and most or some of them are Ivermectin sensitive and using a product with Ivermectin in it could be deadly if there is a reaction to it, for them. And Revolution also is a heartworm preventative all in one dose. However, one puppy I had was on Sentinel when I got him, he had a tick on his head.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I know all recolution covers.. we used it for the 6 months of HW season here. Just it does 'the american dog tick' not deer ticks.. and most people don't specify that.

That's all I was saying...
Old 12-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

We also use revolution at our house. We do use frontline at the shelter and have had good sucess with it. I've never seen a reaction to it, so maybe they are uncommon?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Bobsk8

I read on another forum than some Vets don't recommend Revolution. They have had dogs that were on it come down with Heart Worm Disease.

http://forum.dog.com/asp/tm.asp?m=160717
Old 12-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

I've heard Revolution not working on some dogs also. Not as well as Heartguard and other assorted products.

I asked the vets that I work for about Revolution and they said it's fantastic with cats, not so great with dogs. The flea prevention part is fine but the HW protection is iffy in dogs.

As for frontline preventing ticks, I didn't know that. I'll have to look into it.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 12-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by makka619 View Post
I thought Frontline helped with the prevention of ticks?
I found a tick on Gabbi 3 weeks after her Advantix treatment. I was thinking of swithcing to frontline Plus which is supposed to repel those ticks and things. I was very disappointed the Advantix only lasted 3 weeks. She's been on it for 8 months now. I have 4 more tubes to go.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Owned by 2 Rough Collies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsk8 View Post
I read on another forum than some Vets don't recommend Revolution. They have had dogs that were on it come down with Heart Worm Disease.

http://forum.dog.com/asp/tm.asp?m=160717
Depends on if the owners are using it correctly and also if the owners are telling the vet the truth on the usage. You must follow the instructions to the letter. We don't have problems with heartworm here, not even in the shelter dogs.