Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-20-2005, 05:40 PM
mostly ignored...

Default Sunny's Swim

Today we went to the park, and I have been trying to get Sunny used to the water since we LOVE to canoe and swim and all of that, so it would be that much more fun if Sunny was into it. I took along a tennis ball (one of the cheapest, most adored dog toys Sunny has) to toss into the shallows of the creek, for him to play fetch with. All was well and he was having a blast so I decided to take it a step further. I tossed the ball a little further, just to where his feet wouldn't touch. You should have seen the look on his face when all he caught with his feet was water! First a bit of fright and then sheer bliss when he figured out that he knew how to swim. The little goofball IGNORED his ball and went swimming further and further out. Well, the current isn't too strong but I guess it is stronger then a 17lb puppy, and he began to drift downstream. At the time it was a bit scary but now looking back at it, it was really funny to see the look of determination on his face as he tried to swim back to where he had been. He made it to the other side of the creek and stayed there until I waded through (the water was up past my knees so I got a little wetter then planned ) and clipped on his leash. The trip back was much easier since he didn't have to fight the current and could just concentrate on peddling those little puppy legs as fast as he could. It was so much fun and he had such a good time he would have went back for more had it not been time to leave. I just thought I would share. It was so fun to see him experience something new and enjoyable.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

This made me smile on a really crappy day!!

You have to get pictures next time!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:07 PM
~3 Mutts~

yay Sunny! Yes, please take some pics for us when he goes swimming next time!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:36 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Talking

Go Sunnypup Go! and then Come back Sunny come back!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie
Go Sunnypup Go! and then Come back Sunny come back!
lol, imagine a before and after shot of Sunny. Very funny.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:28 AM
Don't encourage me..

Aaahhh, now you have joined the ranks of the constantly wet when near water, life will never be the same again!! Gus likes a good swim!! It's great exercise! Go Sunny go!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 AM
Love my pets

Sunny sounds like he had a great time. I wish I could have joined him if the water was warm.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Top Dog

Awwwww, that's such a cute and funny story. I can just picture his face on the other side saying "well, come get me!" lol
Old 04-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Top Dog

Yayyyy Sunny! I am so glad he had a great time!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Top Dog

A-h-h...there's something just so wonderful about a dog swimming. They do have fun. Can't wait for next time when you can take pictures and post them. My Lab is gone so I probably won't have any swimmers for a while. My Dobe thinks he'll die if he goes in past his pasterns. The Chihuahuas glare at me if I set them into the water to swim....although they are good swimmers. So, no volunteers from here. I'm glad Sunny likes it. It's great exercise too! Have fun Sunny!