Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-28-2006, 12:12 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Hey Jynx and Barb -

I can't give all the details yet as things are still in negotiation. She's about six weeks old and black and tan. She has Mink von haus Whittfield as her grandfather on her sire's side, and her dam's father has been the Hungarian National (working) Champion. I know I said the pup was German lines, but there are some Czech lines in there too.

I know it's crazy to get another dog when I already have four, but five is generally my limit .. *G* .. and with three chows and just one GSD, things are definitely NOT balanced! Besides, my young chow needs a buddy to play with. The other dogs are 9, 10 and 15 years old and they can only put up with playing with the "monster" for so long.

(See how well I justify a fifth dog??? *LOL*)

It will be fun to work with her. She will not only be trained basics and tricks and all that, but she'll learn service dog behaviors so that if I end up needing that she'll be ready. I could have used a service-trained dog when I got really sick .. Trick is good but she wasn't trained to turn off lights!

I'll post more when she gets here, of course!

Melanie and the gang
Old 12-28-2006, 07:54 AM
whatszmatter

I have a Mink grandaughter, she's soon to be 7 now, on Dec 31st actually. She's awsome, if she wouldn't have had pyometra at age 2 breeding her to a the right stud would have probably given us some great progeny. Tons of prey, good defense, fairly strong female, very stable temperment and never wants to quit. Besides some of the gray coming in around her mouth most people think she's a year or two old by the way she looks at first and acts. Excellent, Excellent tracker as well, very natural.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Puppy Dog

Talking

I have never had a GSD but I just adopted a GSD X 3 weeks ago and she is such a love.. She is beautiful and knows it too.. Just wish the biting would stop, but shes a puppy..

I have read that they are excellent family pets and love to please their owners...

GSD RULE!!

The fortune cookie I received the night before I found Bella..

Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

melanie,,ewwww she sounds promising!!!! and I can certainly understand wanting another,,I always want another dog, my youngest now is 5 years old, and I have a house full of cripples *vbg*..

You'll love the czech blood, my czech girl will be 12 in April, unfortunately she has severe arthritis in her knees, ( but she is still crazy and runs the roost around here..I swear they are some tough dogs , this one has no pain threshold, which can be good and bad , but sooooooo much fun to work with!
Keep us updated!
diane
Old 12-29-2006, 05:43 PM
But please, call me Barb

Melanie, sounds like she's going to be a great addition and I can't wait to hear more about her, and of course see pictures!!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Loves off-leash training!

whatszmatter - good to hear about your dog and the nice solid temperament! What you describe in yours is what I'm looking for in mine, so hopefully I get what you got! *L*

Jynx .. there's always room for another puppy, right? *LOL* I've never had a GSD with Czech lines .. Tori had some Belgian lines in her, Trick is German/American working lines. So this will be a bit new to me, but I always like a good challenge. I prefer dogs with a lot of "OOMPH" to them, you know?

fillyone - she won't be here until mid-January, I think. I'll be sure to take lots of photos! Unfortunately the latch on the battery compartment of my camera just broke yesterday, so I need to decide if I want to buy another cheapie or look at what I REALLY want in a camera (like $1000 on up .. *L*).

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 12-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

well you'll certainly get "oomph",,and I think the girlz have MORE oomph than the boys..*vbg*
diane
Old 12-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Big Dog

Well, I am a pet owner. I know nothing of bloodlines and pedigrees, but that's fine with me because ***37;90 of the dogs I consider bringing into my life are from unknown background.

Due to the popularity of GSD's the shelters are bursting with them. I volounteer with an Orange County based rescue group and we almost always have close to 40 GSD's in our care at any one time. Sadly there are dozens whom we can not save in time and they meet their end via the needle having spent their final days in concrete and steel cages.

All my dogs have been rescues, and will continue to be so. For the casual pet owner, escpcailly a first time GSD owner I think adopting an older puppy or adult dog from a rescue can be a great was to introduce yourself to the breed and gain experiance. Most the dogs that come through our doors are a year or more old and one can get a really good feel for their personalities and temperments. We match over 300 GSD's a year with suitable homes.

Forsomebody who is looking for a dog who will strictly be a family pet, I think that going to a rescue and choosing the GSD that fits your particular lifestyle is a viable means of aquiring a dog.

The is my rescue girl, I adopted her at 6 months of age and she's been the best dog I've ever owned.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

she is gorgeous! I have a couple of rescues, one gsd and one aussie so I am all for rescuing as well , and just for the reasons you stated, alot of newbie GSD owners have no idea just how hard it can be raising a gsd puppy, to get an older dog is to "see what you get", and saving a life at the same time..

Road, are you a member of the gsd board? I ask only because since you are working at a shelter/rescue, this board has a HUGE rescue section, where you can post dogs in need, and alot frequent the board looking for a dog as well. The url is http://www.germanshepherds.com/ubbth...ubbthreads.php

Diane
Old 01-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Big Dog

No, I'm not a member there, but it looks like a good spot! I think I'll sign up!