Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

I'm not real impressed with Leerburg but to each his own. )
Diane
Old 12-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Owned by Belgians

But he sure breeds nice dogs.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 PM
whatszmatter

I personally have had two dogs from there, both very good workers and companions. Just recently worked with a man that had a Leerburg dog, competed in nationals with him a few years ago, used him as a stud and has a phenomenal son out of him that just got his SchH I. Very clear, very driven and very focused. And like black puppy said, there are other breeders on the board that can help you find the dog you need.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

If you are into a dog that is not as "bounce off the wall" as a working line dog but one that still has drive and a degree of working ability, you can also look at the German show lines. Good breeders of these dogs will title them, compete with them, and get hips and elbows certified. This is what my dog Gunnar is. He's been a great dog for us, he's happy to be mellow around the house but when its time to train or play, he will go for hours if you let him.

The main point is, which has already been mentioned, is that you need to research your breeder. There are still American bred dogs who are healthy and stable in temprament, just as there are working line dogs who are going to have health issues or bad tempraments.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:31 AM
Top Dog

I don't think the folks on Leerburg are pro working dogs as pets. I can tell you it's hard and again, you must train and find them a job or outlet for all that drive and energy. Gabbi's parents are working dogs and she is loaded full of drive. I wish I had started way earlier w/her training. She's such a sweetie and I just want to do right by her, and not having an outlet for her energy, would drive us both crazy. Total high maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I love her and she's my dream dog, but I had no idea what a high calibur dog she would be. We're a work in progress.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

http://www.leerburg.com/forums/ubbth...gonew/1#UNREAD

Here's a thread at leerburg discussing this very topic
Old 12-26-2006, 03:37 AM
GSDluver4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyone View Post
Anyone thinking of getting a GSD must research the line types before they decide. To point someone to Czech lines without a HUGE disclaimer of what these dogs can be like is doing a disservice to the breed. There are more and more Czech and DDR GSDs showing up in rescues and shelters because many are not ready for the drive and energy level of working line dogs.

Anyone leaning to a working line GSD needs to spend a lot of time talking to breeders while being honest about their intentions with the pup. Of course every litter has lower drive/energy pups and so it is quite possible to get a pet workingline but PLEASE do a lot of research into breeders before buying a GSD of any line.
I agree!!! I have a west german working line and he is a handful. DDR/Czech, IMO, are a notch up from WGW dog. Ryot is something and if not controlled can be hazzardous. They need extensive training and have alot of drive. I swear I think Ryot is part Mali, lol. . Just jumping and bouncing and barking (to get whatever is in my hand). American breed dogs are NOT bad and I have seen nice ones. They tend to be more relaxed and more fit for the "family" scene. YOU have to find what YOU like and people who think AMerican see sloped backs. Its just what people are used to seeing, but you CAN find the less extreme american lines. Just like German Showline. They are known for roach-backs but that doesnt mean ALL GSL's have roached backs. Just go out and look for what YOU like.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani View Post
So, where is the best place to get a German Shepherd? A farm that raises even-tempered, health-screened German Shepherds? That's where my German Shepherd puppyfrom about 12 years ago came from.
Personally I use the same basic criteria for finding a GSD as I do for finding any breed. I first look for the style I like (most breeds come in "show" lines and "working" lines, which can be vastly different in looks, attitude, intelligence and instinct). Then I look for a breeder that produces what I like. I want a breeder who proves their dogs by showing/working in the venues I prefer (when it comes to the GSD, I want to know that the parents of my dog have the instinct, intelligence and athletic ability to be working dogs). I want a breeder who health tests their dogs. I want a breeder who does limited breeding, not kicking out multitudes of puppies for whatever lousy reason they choose. I want a breeder who is NOT in it primarily for the money (these last two completely disqualify leerburg kennels, of course). I want a breeder whose dogs whelp in the home and the puppies are raised within the home, being exposed to the hustle and bustle of a household - including children and various noises. I want a breeder who starts socialization at a young age and who knows the value of good socialization (also disqualifies leerburg).

It's difficult here in Alaska to get my kind of shepherd because nearly all the breeders are breeding for AKC conformation shows. I don't like those lines. While I value proper angulation, over-angulation is a huge fault to me. And shepherds aren't supposed to have long necks and soft teddy-bear coats and thick tails. Not all American lines are like that, of course- my Trick is half German, half American (working) lines and she's been the most fantastic dog.

People tend to think of hip dysplasia with the German shepherds, but much of what is assumed to be hip dysplasia is degenerative myelopathy or other problems. My Mom's dog has cauda equina, but to look at him (he's 11 1/2) you would assume he has hip dysplasia. His hips looked great under x-ray, however. My first full shepherd (born 1988) had degenerative myelopathy and I had him put down at 11 1/2 when he could no longer control his bowel movements. But Trick turned ten last May and - while showing some age - is still active and runs and jumps like crazy.

Anyway .. as far as finding a breeder .. you research and research and ask for references and check out information given you by breeders and then you make your decision. It doesn't matter what breed. You never buy online without really delving deeply into what you're getting and who you're buying from. On the surface so many can look good .. I got a beautiful German/Belgian lines GSD whose grandfather was 15X a Schutzhund III .. and she was a neurotic mess, most likely from lack of early socialization. Trick was purchased from a breeder in NJ (I'm in Alaska) and has been the perfect GSD for me. Two of my chows came from out of state - the last one from Ontario, Canada. Both are great dogs.

It looks like I have a puppy coming in January .. another GSD ..

She's German lines, all schutzhund background, going to be a handful but I have a pack of girls here who need a challenge! *LOL*

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 12-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

ewwww melanie! Do tell you lucky thing getting another gsd!
Congrats on the new arrival! and hey you don't have many gsd breeders up there in that cold climate? *vbg*
diane
Old 12-27-2006, 08:48 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliamnasQuest View Post
It looks like I have a puppy coming in January .. another GSD ..
She's German lines, all schutzhund background, going to be a handful but I have a pack of girls here who need a challenge! *LOL*
Oh Oh Oh OH!!
Do tell more!!!!