Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-14-2006, 08:19 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_ACD_for_me View Post
Personally, I would go for a dog outside the US such as a GSD with Chekz or German lines. I am not a fan of the American bred Shepards that you see in the AKC show ring. I think there back ends look deformed IMO. There are some great breeders right her in the US however that breed these chekz and German lines. Most K-9 dogs for police work are imported in from outside the US because of the better quality of there dogs.

100% agree
Old 12-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

I love them too !! Do the Monks at Skete still sell them ??? they must be fabulous ! All German lines and well socialized .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-16-2006, 03:45 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Personally, I would go for a dog outside the US such as a GSD with Chekz or German lines. I am not a fan of the American bred Shepards that you see in the AKC show ring. I think there back ends look deformed IMO. There are some great breeders right her in the US however that breed these chekz and German lines. Most K-9 dogs for police work are imported in from outside the US because of the better quality of there dogs.
Anyone thinking of getting a GSD must research the line types before they decide. To point someone to Czech lines without a HUGE disclaimer of what these dogs can be like is doing a disservice to the breed. There are more and more Czech and DDR GSDs showing up in rescues and shelters because many are not ready for the drive and energy level of working line dogs.

Anyone leaning to a working line GSD needs to spend a lot of time talking to breeders while being honest about their intentions with the pup. Of course every litter has lower drive/energy pups and so it is quite possible to get a pet workingline but PLEASE do a lot of research into breeders before buying a GSD of any line.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyone View Post
Anyone thinking of getting a GSD must research the line types before they decide. To point someone to Czech lines without a HUGE disclaimer of what these dogs can be like is doing a disservice to the breed. There are more and more Czech and DDR GSDs showing up in rescues and shelters because many are not ready for the drive and energy level of working line dogs.

Anyone leaning to a working line GSD needs to spend a lot of time talking to breeders while being honest about their intentions with the pup. Of course every litter has lower drive/energy pups and so it is quite possible to get a pet workingline but PLEASE do a lot of research into breeders before buying a GSD of any line.
So very true.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

So basically you would rather an American bred AKC low to ground back end show dog bred GSD than a GSD who can do its job ? I grew up with GSD's from German working lines and they were great all around family dogs. They needed a good dose of excercise and training but so doesn't any herding breed or most dogs for that matter. Your talking to someone who owns a 67 lb ACD who would be cujo in the wrong hands and protects better than any of the the GSD's I have owned. However, I do agree with you on RESEARCH it is a must before you invest in any breed of dog .
Old 12-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Active Pup

The research part is what I agree to. Research and learn all you can, and then make an informed decision.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:35 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
So basically you would rather an American bred AKC low to ground back end show dog bred GSD than a GSD who can do its job ? I grew up with GSD's from German working lines and they were great all around family dogs. They needed a good dose of excercise and training but so doesn't any herding breed or most dogs for that matter. Your talking to someone who owns a 67 lb ACD who would be cujo in the wrong hands and protects better than any of the the GSD's I have owned. However, I do agree with you on RESEARCH it is a must before you invest in any breed of dog .
We're not talking about my preferences, you pointed someone directly to Czech lines and I wanted to point out that these dogs are ending up in shelters because people like the way they look and don't research the needs of a working line dog.
Have you seen all the black sables out there? Have you seen how many breeders are now breeding working line dogs with out titling or working them first? I've got my fingers crossed about a young pup that was sold to a family here who had NO clue what a Czech/DDR pup meant to their family.

I'm saying it's irresposible to automatically say that American lines are **** and everyone should get a working line dog without discussion of the needed exercise, outlet for drive and need for intense research of breeders.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyone View Post

Amen! My Gabbi is just that. Granted she is a back yard breeding, but both parents have their papers, not titled. She is one bundle o'drive and energy. I had no idea what I was getting into. She is my first and last puppy. I am sticking with the adults. Training training training. I have a schutzhund trainer right now, I doubt my Gabbs is schutzhund material but I'll take the obedience that goes with it. There are working line dogs out there that do not have that high drive, you just have to look and ask the breeders for it. Biz is one of them and has that great Slovakian look. I don't like the Amercian show line GSD either.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Barb, Living with DDR & czech dogs is NOT most times, for the faint of heart.

As for the American lined dogs, we've most likely hashed this out before. While some may not like the appearance of extreme angulation (what your seeing in alot of the am show dogs), and I'm one of them, a GSD needs SOME rear angulation for movement. Again, while maybe not appealing, it certainly is a "myth" that the more angulation means a dog is dysplastic.

Certainly one does not have to go outside the US for a good dog. Most dogs imported are pretty pricey, and think about it, "they" aren't selling their really good dogs, they keep them for themselves. (certainly not to say you can't get a good dog imported!)

I would absolutely never ever suggest to someone to get a Czech dog if they were unexperienced, looking for a pet only. I have a czech female who is almost 12, she has rotten knees with a couple of surgeries behind her, I wouldn't trade her for all the tea in china, she has been the best dog I'll ever own. BUT, at this age, this dog still "flits" when she moves, she NEVER has walked a day in her life! She is constantly ON THE MOVE, and she better have something to do or she'll find something to do not always good.

A normal "Joe T Public", would have 1. gotten rid of her by now, 2. gone bonkers trying to keep her busy. Sure she's first and foremost my "cherished pet",,but she also has had a life that's kept her busy, both physically and mentally. (I can afford that luxury of time)

My DDR dog is probably a little out of the norm, he has been the easiest self trainer I've ever had the pleasure of living with, couch it all day OR run the boston marathon all day, he's a go with the flow dog, at 10, he shows no signs of slowing down either.

Wonderful dogs in the right hands.

In the end, a GOOD GSD is a GOOD GSD, doesn't matter if it's purple, green from the us , germany or the moon, IF you can find a good breeder who's breeding sound/healthy dogs, then you've got it made.

Diane
Old 12-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Owned by Belgians

I'm a little late here, but here's one place to get a good GSD.

http://www.leerburg.com/litters.htm

If you're looking for another breeder, they don't mind you asking about it on their forums.

http://www.leerburg.com/forums/ubbthreads.php