Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Active Pup

Thanks to all who responded, I have a lot of research to do.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

There is a good site that "matches dog breeds" with owners. From what I remember it was pretty accurate....
I can't remember the site address though........
Can someone post it for the OP........Please.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Dog Breed Selector

I think this is the one your talking about... since you asked so nicely

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

I would say Golden Retrievers , but no outdoor kenneling . I too lived on 8 acres and my 5 Goldens did everything you are asking for . We also had hardwood floors in most of the rooms with no problems ( lived there for 40 years ). BUT... our floors were not polyurethane . These do chip and get scratched ( by everything ). Others just need a Bruce waxing once in a while . I've been in this house for over seven years now with old hardwood varnished floors and just use Murphy's Oil soap .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Top Dog

That site BTW is good ... but I doubt if they'll suggest a Golden if you put in outside housing . Goldens are family dogs.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM
i love RASCAL FLATTS!

Smile Hi

I think a german shepered would fit your lives very well, as long as you get one from a puppy and train it well or take to a puppy training class
Old 12-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Puppy Dog

Most guard dog class or even working class breeds will do what you want regarding your requirements. Some of it will have to entail training like "staying on the property at all times" and will have to be raised as a pup with children if you want your youngins to be safe around them without any worry.

We have profiles of many large dog breeds on our site (*check sig)- You can examine the large dog breed profiles and history pages and see which ones would match your needs a bit more.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:55 AM
Harumph™©®

I can also attest that hardwood floors are not a problem if they are real hardwood. I live in a home build in the
1920s with some great hardwood floors. I have 3 cats and a Collie and the only real damage going on with my floors is the damage I do myself.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:15 PM
CASSA

New to owning dogs man of the breeds that fit your list may not be the best to start with and without proper fencing any breed can be a issue for containment.

Most flock guardian breeds would be out ( fencing liability,new dog owner issues) and would not need a heated dog house.

Best of luck
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 12-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Puppy Dog

ever thought about a bloodhound or black and tan coon hound? it sounds like they would have plenty of room to run, they bark at evreything that comes on the property and are very freindly. they bark at everyone, but only because they think everyone should have to pet them. also, being failry large hounds they (black and tans especially) can be heard for miles. i know i have been coon hunting and have walked miles to find a dog that i could hear, and thought he was only a few hundred yards away. the black and tans are a less agressive about trying to get out of thier fence, but both can be contained witha little training. they (bloodhound especially) is a pretty big dog, and just the sight of one could ward off anyone you dont want around. both will definatly need a fence, being driven sent hounds means their nose will take them anywhere.

i have a whole lot of experience hunting black and tan coonhounds, and i dont think there is a better hound out there. but bloodhounds are close, which explains alot, b&t's came from bloodhound/foxhound mixes