Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Never enough pets

Default What is wrong? ((Help))

I have been having a lot of problems lately! My female prego guppy has a stinky bloody tail and the bottom of her gills are dark red. She is not having any trouble swimming that I can see but is trying to stay in shallow water. I dont know what is wrong?? I dont see how the other fish could have harmed her because they are just tiny baby guppies. I had her feeding a mild helping of soft boiled inside of an egg mixed with water, I had read to feed that to fry off a book and I doubt that had anything to do with it. I just changed the water in the tank and put the rocks in a bag. The tank is bare and filtered and I put her in there with a tiny newborn baby. I moved all the young adults in with the full grown adults. Does anyone know what is wrong with my big girl?

Last edited by neapolitanpitbull; 12-07-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I do not know... maybe try a fish forum? You may get more answers there? Good luck.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Top Dog

I'm not sure I read your post correctly (please excuse me, it's late!) but what i gathered from it was that you just changed half the water and took out the gravel at the same time. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong? But I believe you would have a *huge* change in the water parameters after doing that, which is totally not good for the fishes.

How is she doing now?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Never enough pets

I changed all the water and took out the rocks, making sure it was the EXACT same temperture, and I also let it filter for a while.
She is swimming fine and eating fine, I did notice that one of her fins was ripped though. I have no idea what could have done this.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Island dweller

You're not supposed to change all of the water and the rocks at the same time. It's too much of a change for the fish. Water temperature is just one of the parameters. I suggest you talk to Blue or Nedim and see if they can advise.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Don't encourage me..

Or Angel Chicken!! She is a fish bod!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 12-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Never enough pets

She is doing fine. Still a little bloody but I think thats just stained or something because she is going through no pain. I am going to keep her in that tank..away from those pesky males!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Island dweller

I don't know a whole lot about fish but I don't think you can really tell if they are going through pain! News to me if you can.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Never enough pets

Saje, you can tell they are having a hard time if they cannot swim, are swimming with too much effort, are just lying on the bottom of the tank,are not eating, etc. I wouldn't say you can tell they are going through pain, but you can tell they are having a hard time. And you can cleary see she is not.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Island dweller

Ok but by that time it's probably pretty severe isn't it? Kinds of like with bully breeds and how well they hide their pain. You know they are hurt if they show it.