Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purr
I believe an INVISIBLE FENCE is a system that uses a shock collar, which is programmed to shock the dog, when it crosses the boundry (I've never used one, so I may be wrong on that). When the poster said they took the collar off, they were refering to the shock collar. By leash, she means, a regular ol' collar and leash, like for walking. We're always happy to help out, if you have any more questions

Yes your right. Its a line that they install under the ground around your yard. Each dog gets a shock collar (not that big of a shock) There is a high pitch "dog" sound to warn them before they actually hit the shock zone. They go through training to learn the boundaries of the yard. If they try to cross it, they get a little shock. I know some people are against it, but like I said, I believe in the end it does teach the boundaries and then they get so used to it even without the collar on.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:08 PM
Active Pup

Hi,

Please, PLEASE, everybody as tempting as it may sound unless you have a secure area, please put your beloved dogs on a leash. Yesterday while I was walking my new pup Missy, we stopped so I could adjust her leash. A dog across the street ran across (I guess to greet us) and got hit by a truck. The owners were right there in their yard and couldn't call him/her back in time. The sound the dog made was AWFUL.

I don't know if the dog will be okay, the owner scooped the dog up so fast and ran to their car (to take the dog to the vet) that they didn't even wait for the driver to get out of the truck. The truck driver was also shaken and went to the owner's neighbor to leave her info.

I never want to witness that again and I'm sure my dog knew something was up because the rest of the walk she stayed right close to my side. This whole episode has reaffirmed that my dog will always be leashed unless I know that the area is secured and fenced.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:21 PM
~3 Mutts~

Yes NurseJ, you are right. I'm sorry you had to see that happen! I hope the dog is alright!!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Puppy Dog

THANK U ALL for ur advise it has helped ALOT.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

you are right about taking chances..that is why Vic is back on the leash until i have the electric collar...one warning was one too many.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Top Dog

Please....never ever let your dog near any road without being attached to you. I wouldn't even trust an underground fence system if you live on a road like that. Your dog is a toy breed, right? I recommend a harness, not a collar and you can put a long lead on your pup, (not long enough to reach the road) and play with her with that on.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:23 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

That is what we were doing..i had about 12 feet for Vic so he could at least enjoy his porch..but now since onyx tried to attack him and he was wrapped around the flower pots and trees like a sitting duck..he bawls the minute i put him on it. We have a very slow road but it only takes one time to be too sorry.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

Well, it's not so good to tie a dog out, but I meant with you holding the end of the long line and playing with your dog. It can be dangerous to tie a dog out. If you're not right there, they can get (like you said) tangled up and then strangle or step off the porch, hanging themselves.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:59 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

this was only to the front porch while i work three feet away..just so he could enjoy the outside world..i found a temporary thing..the canvas that packs on wheels is on..makes a good enough baby gate..(until i get back to it) so he can stand and still at least See his world..dang it. He does get threehours yard time at my mom's each day but it isn't quite the same. Bronki loved to sit on the porch especially at night..i think it was his tv!
Old 04-20-2005, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Bronki loved to sit on the porch especially at night..i think it was his tv!
LOL!

Quote:
this was only to the front porch while i work three feet away..just so he could enjoy the outside world..
Well, that's different. You're right there. I always am a worry wart when I read about people tying their dogs out. I'm old. What do you expect? LOL.