Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Wolfpack

Default what about schnauzers?

I think I didn't hear anything from you about this breed...What do you think about it?Especially the mini schnauzer?
I personally think that they are great dogs, easy to train, very lovable and great watching dogs (giant schnauzers).

Old 12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Harumph™©®

I had two schnauzers when I was younger. They don't shed, are pretty clean dogs too. They are very loyal dogs and very lovable to their families. They bark A LOT. Good watchdogs. You don't need a doorbell. My own dog was very protective of me and bit quite a few people who reached toward me. He ripped quite a few pairs of pants that moved by too fast too. lol. I adored him but if he had done today what he did back then, we would have been knee deep in lawsuits.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Twin 2.0

I waver. On one hand, the minis are adorable and the perfect size for most people. Small and compact enough for apartments, easy to fit in any care and sturdy enough that you won't accidently break them. Grooming is pretty easy, though the ears require special care if they're not cropped. Very cuddly and pretty smart.

However, I have decided through lots of personal experience that there is little in this world more piercing and annoying than a mini Schnauzer bark. They have an almost super-sonic edge to it...and they love to bark bark bark! It's not every dog, but a good portion of them nonetheless.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Wolfpack

LOL.Yes...I'm a little afraid of that...I hope she's not a barker (Pepa)...My future to be mini schnauzer

Old 12-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

I like 'em a lot! Training takes diligence but the barking can be tempered down to a dull roar. LOL. I know....I have Chihuahuas and boy, a lot of decibals come out of those tiny mouths!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Harumph™©®

Quote:
I have decided through lots of personal experience that there is little in this world more piercing and annoying than a mini Schnauzer bark
Hahahaa. You said what I didn't have the heart to say. And we had TWO.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
LOL.Yes...I'm a little afraid of that...I hope she's not a barker (Pepa)...My future to be mini schnauzer
What will you do if she *is* a barker? Hoping a mini schnauzer isn't a barker is like hoping a Grat Dane doesn't weigh more than 50lbs at maturity... it just doesn't happen.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

Yippy and snappy ! Daughter needed stitches from her step-grandma's dog .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Are you dead yet?

I had a mini. Neat little dog, very dog-aggressive though. She stopped barking so much as she got older, but up until she was about 4 years old she had a shrill, piercing bark and used it whenever she got the opportunity. It wasn't even a bark, there was no pitch variation. It was just "YEEEEEEP! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!" Horrible, horrible sound.

I've never met a Schnauzer that wasn't a barker at some point in his/her life.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Wolfpack

Well...then I'll have to get used to it, right?But I don't think she's a barker...I got the chance to see her a couple of times...even sleep in the same room with her and another black mini schnauzer (when we went to a dog show) and she was very quiet.I think I would have remembered if she was an annoying barker.She's pretty quiet (she's almost 4 years old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
What will you do if she *is* a barker? Hoping a mini schnauzer isn't a barker is like hoping a Grat Dane doesn't weigh more than 50lbs at maturity... it just doesn't happen.