Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 12-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Never enough pets

I guess.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Are her fins being held close to her body? Do you see any scales sticking out when she swims facing you? No, you never want to change all the water at once, only about 20%. Did you add any water conditioner to remove chlorine and other heavy metals? Did you add any slime coat additive? You can put in a little rock salt. You said she stays in shallow water. How is it that there is shallow water? Is this a regular aquarium? How many gallons? Do you have live plants in there to help oxygenate the tank? How long have you had the tank set up? (too many questions, I know, but I'm just trying to help you figure it out) I'd keep her seperate from the others until you know what it is.

Getting on a fish forum is a good idea. Or you can call a fish store....not some pet store, but one where they really know tropical fish. I've never experienced what you describe so I don't know what it could be. Are her gills swollen or sticking out more than normal?

When you say stinky tail? How do you know it's stinky? Do you mean smelly? Did you touch the fish with your bare hands by any chance?

Be careful she doesn't eat her baby. I'd put some surface plants in there for the baby to hide in or a breeding trap.

I've never heard of feeding a fish a chicken egg. That seems like it could really pollute the water. It's not a natural thing for them to eat. But I'm not an expert. See what you can find out from a forum or fish store. Let us know how she does.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Never enough pets

No, her fins are being held regularly but are kind of bloody. I noticed today one of her fins was ripped on her left side. I do not see any scales what so ever facing me or out of place. Yes, I added water conditioner when I changed the water, nothing else. I had a titled container I had her in and that is when she tried staying in the shallow water. Now she cannot stay in shallow water because the water is at the same height. The tank is 1.6 gallons and yes, it is a regular aquarium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Are her fins being held close to her body? Do you see any scales sticking out when she swims facing you? No, you never want to change all the water at once, only about 20%. Did you add any water conditioner to remove chlorine and other heavy metals? Did you add any slime coat additive? You can put in a little rock salt. You said she stays in shallow water. How is it that there is shallow water? Is this a regular aquarium? How many gallons? Do you have live plants in there to help oxygenate the tank? How long have you had the tank set up? (too many questions, I know, but I'm just trying to help you figure it out) I'd keep her seperate from the others until you know what it is.

Getting on a fish forum is a good idea. Or you can call a fish store....not some pet store, but one where they really know tropical fish. I've never experienced what you describe so I don't know what it could be. Are her gills swollen or sticking out more than normal?

When you say stinky tail? How do you know it's stinky? Do you mean smelly? Did you touch the fish with your bare hands by any chance?

Be careful she doesn't eat her baby. I'd put some surface plants in there for the baby to hide in or a breeding trap.

I've never heard of feeding a fish a chicken egg. That seems like it could really pollute the water. It's not a natural thing for them to eat. But I'm not an expert. See what you can find out from a forum or fish store. Let us know how she does.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Top Dog

You should look into getting some java moss -- they work really well as hiding places for the fry. Also, isn't 1.6 gallons a bit too small? Small aquariums like that are hard to monitor.. and a heater could severely boil the water in such a small body of water, so I'd watch out for that. As well, water parameters will change dramatically and clean water is especially important for new babies because you won't really be able to change the water for days after they're born.. and you'd have problems with that in such a small tank..
Old 12-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Kathy. That small of a tank is easily over heated and hard to regulate, both temperature-wise and ph-wise. Maybe your ph is too acidic?Maybe you could splurge and get yourself a 10 gal. If the fish dies, she dies. I'd just start over. Do use some slime coat stuff. And talk to the fish store person if he's knowledgeable and get all the info you can first. Good luck. Let us know.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Never enough pets

Thanks. She is doing well. Healing up. No longer bloody.