hum...neuter

candy722

One of my friend also has a dog like mine and whenever I talk about him she always bring up how his not neuter. I know her dog is neuter and I get the point that she wants me to neuter my dog. THe reason I don't neuter him because it's not bothering me. He doesn't hump me but he does do that to other dogs if he knows them well. But I just feel that dog will hump naturally even when you fix them so there is no point of fixing. THe only thing I do see that I should fix him in a couple of years is because I don't want him to get testical cancer. Her dog used to hump my dog and then now it's the other way around. I just feel she's too naive. SHe thinks when you fix a dog it will totally stop humping, and peeing. I don't have those problem. SO it makes me feel inferior to her dog. But my dog knows alot more tricks and commands than her own dog. hehehe so Im proud of that.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Candy, it sounds like your pup (Toki?) is doing terrific. I believe it's actually better to neuter them when they are younger, but, I don't remember where I read that. I'll see if I can find a link for you that helped me out.

Congrats on your wonderful boy!

Saje

Island dweller
Well, I think if you alter your dog while it's young it will help eliminate those behaviours. Maverick was altered very young and he had to LEARN to hump and it always just a dominant thing when he does it. It's quite funny. Mikey can stand under him quite nicely while he does it. lol

I've read that neutering your dog at or around 6 months (or earlier) is when it really helps prevent cancer. The longer you leave it the more likely it is that they will get cancer. I don't know the stats as it varies all over the net. If your dog gets testicular cancer it can spread before you catch it so just getting him neutered may not save him. At least, that's my understanding. Personally, I don't see any reason not to spay or neuter.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
I know that Doberluv knows the link; she gave it to me on another forum, but, it's moving to a new server and I can't access it.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I would neuter too!! Totally eliminated, dog and furniture humping for us!! :D

candy722

Yeah I'll do that later. I don't see why I have to do it so soon. My last dog was not neuter and he didn't get testical cancer and I did not even bred him. I think that goes for certain dogs.

Neutering at a young age can prevent humping and marking, and lowers your dog's risk of certain cancers. If done before two years of age.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My vet told me that it was best to neuter before they were 5 years old to avoid cancer. Bronki was not neutered, he did not hump or mark inappropriately..his cancer did not start in the testicles..his father did have testicle cancer and was neutered when it was discovered. Bronki produced no puppies..but i would not take that chance again..Victor my dog now is neutered.

Saintgirl

Personally I believe that unless you are breeding there are no advantages to not having your dog neutered. The risk of the health problems is not a risk I am willing to take. Also it sounds like you have a very smart pup on your hands, did you know that neutering will also make it easier for your pup to concentrate on you more fully without having to deal with his horomones? If you are still not sure about the pros and cons call your vet or do some research on your own. Always better to make an educated decision, especially when it comes to your beloved dog.

Members online

No members online now.