Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Show Dog

Question Fleas

My dog has fleas and I wanted to know if hartz 3 in 1 control collar for puppies will be one step toward helping him...My dog is a toy poodle..sure he's not a puppy but he's 10lbs and I though since puppied are small and he's small that it might have the same affect..Of course I'm gonna give him the reg. flea bath and use oatmeal conditioner...and advantix or frontline...but I wanted to know about the collar...is it ok to use it?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Top Dog

Hartz products are not effective at all and neither are flea collars. Bathing wont work long term, once your dog is dry, the fleas will come back.

Advantage or Frontline are the best products out there for fleas. They are very effective and work very quickly. They also help eliminate fleas in your home as well. When the treated dander falls off your dog, it kills fleas in the dog's environment. Both products are very safe as well.

Remember, if your dog has fleas, chances are that tapeworms are present as well.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Show Dog

omg good thing I ordered frontline...Cause I used a waterproof spray for fleas, ticks, and eggs and put on his collar and the bigs are all running to his nose so carefully my sister and I put some on his face and the bug are jumping left and right...we also got oatmeal conditioner for the irritations, this week he's going to the vet and she's going to give him a special flea bath, and we got foam shampoo for fleas, ticks, and eggs, now I'm just waiting for frontline to arrive. How would I know if he's carrying with tapeworms are there any symptoms?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I wouldn't buy any hartz product ever. Too many hurt or dead pets especially from flea control products. I refuse to support something that's sketchy if it works, and can kill.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Bobsk8

Hartz is a good product to stay away from
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Pit Lover

Hartz is awful stuff, don't use it.

Frontline, Advantage are two I would recommend.

Flea collars are gross, and anot effective for the entire body.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:42 PM
Show Dog

wow thanks for the info..I really didn't know this. I'm definitely gonna return these products back..I can't have anything harmful happen to my pup.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

The vet doesn't need to give your dog a flea bath if you are applying Frontline. The Frontline will take care of the total problem. If you want to use your oatmeal conditioner then bathe your dog now before the Frontline arrives.

Tapeworms look like small rice or sesame seed segments in the poop. Sometimes you see them and sometimes you don't. Blood or mucous in the stool is another sign.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

When I took in a lost pug for 2 days , he was LOADED with fleas ! I took him to my vet for a micro chip check and they sold me a pill ( $1.50 ) that would kill all fleas in 12 hours. My Ollie is on K9 Advantix and never got a flea ! The only good a Hartz collar may be is in your vacuum bag !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-06-2006, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
When I took in a lost pug for 2 days , he was LOADED with fleas ! I took him to my vet for a micro chip check and they sold me a pill ( $1.50 ) that would kill all fleas in 12 hours. My Ollie is on K9 Advantix and never got a flea ! The only good a Hartz collar may be is in your vacuum bag !
That is pill was probably Capstar. How did your poor pup get so infested? I would buy a good flea comb too and every now and then comb through the fur so the problem doesn't get this bad again.