Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

Default Spaying?

I'm starting to think about getting Emma spayed. She's just about to turn 6 months. I was wondering is it more dangerous for young dogs to have this procedure done? I just worry because she's so tiny 5.5 lbs.

I got Bentley neutered at 6 1/2 months and he recuperated well, even though I was a nervous wreck. I don't HAVE to have Emma spayed at any particular time because Bent's been done so there's no chance of pregnancy.

What do you all think? Should I wait a bit?

www.lppboutique.com
Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Owned by 2 Rough Collies

Whatever your vet is comfortable with.
Some vets don't have the experience in spay/neuter young pups so they are uncomfortable doing something they really haven't taken more instruction to do. And a lot of vets do not keep up anything more than what they HAVE to do in order to keep their license.

However, Bailey was neutered at age 16 weeks, he wasn't even yet 4 months. My vet has done preadolesent spay/neuters for a number of years.
My RB dog was neutered at 5 months old and that was back in 1993, he lived a long healthy life.

Chloe was just spayed (laser) back on Nov. 14th, she was 4 1/2 months but I had to cancel her first spay appt which was 2 weeks prior to that because of a prior committment I had forgotten about. So she would have been spayed at 4 months old. There isn't any reason to let a female come into season before they get spayed. They used to think it was healthier but that was proven incorrect years ago.

A groomer friend of mine just had her 4lb Chihuahua spayed no problem and I do know plenty of people who own very small and very young dogs. I have talked a lot with the vets over the years about this. The laser method is less hard on the animal but the stitches stay in about 10 days, that's about 4 less than a regular spay.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 PM
overdogged

i've had rats spayed so i wouldn't be concerned about her size

six months is pretty standard. talk to your vet about it. they know your dog and their skills the best.

personally i'd much prefer to spay before the first heat- it keeps the risk of mammary tumors very very low, and i'm horribly paranoid about cancer.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

It can be argued that it is best to spay around 6 months, BEFORE the first heat cycle. With each heat that passes, your dog's chance of mammary cancer increases. There is also the chance of pyometra although rare in young dogs.

I have always had mine done at 6 months with no complications and they are small.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

I am a huge fan of pediatric spaying and neutering. But I work in rescue where I think it is more important for that to be done. I know there is debate about the bones growing properly in male pups who are neutered early, but I don't think the risk is even a concern for females. I know spaying before the first heat greatly reduces the risk of a number of different cancers.

So really you could go either way. You definately want to do it. (we don't want you to be back her in a month saying ohh no she got out and is prego! hehe) plus it is just better for her health and the overpopulation problem.

She is great age to be spayed, go for it.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Top Dog

Well they have their vet visit this coming Saturday so I'll talk to the vet about it then

www.lppboutique.com
Old 12-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

What do you mean they have their vet coming Saturday ?? Who's " they " ??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Top Dog

By "they" I mean my dogs. They're going in for their last boosters.

www.lppboutique.com
Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 AM
Top Dog

yoshi was spayed at four months when i first got her and she was fine. there's not even a scar where the stitches where

Old 12-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

Shows the the brain can do !!! I read that as " coming this Saturday " instead of " this coming Saturday " !! My bad !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/