Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Top Dog

I agree with shelter or petfinder ..... unless you have a specific breed in mind ( showing etc ) go with something you can test the temperment for your life style. After 60 years of owning a Golden I went with a 1/2 Golden through petfinder . I'm beyond breeding and showing ...all I wanted was a Golden like companion ... Ollie has filled the bill .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Top Dog

Petfinder is a great resource for sure! There are so many dogs, AND puppies that need a home, and that are wonderful companions!

www.lppboutique.com
Old 12-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Active Pup

Unfortunately because we have 2 cats, we can't really pick out any random dog as much as we'd love to rescue one.
Plus we won't have our own house, so we can't take the chance that the dog we would rescue could be a constant barker, or not capable of being housebroken, or that it would be aggressive towards our Bichon (he loves other dogs but not all other dogs are as well socialized as he is).
We actually thought at first that if we got a 2nd dog it would be a rescue, but we think it would be best if we get a breed that has many qualities that fit our lifestyle and we know it will come from a reputable breeder and good home, and will be less likely to have behavioral problems.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Water Junkie

Why not go with a Poodle? Toy or Miniture or Standered Poodle! They make great dogs...they do not shed either! They are very loving, friendly, and would love to just get on the floor and play with you and the dogs!

I am training a Toy right now....he is passing the class with FLYING COLORS! He is learning everything SO fast!

Here is a pic..

And here is a pic of our Standered Poodle....

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Pit Lover

I'm not a fan of Poodles, but your Standard is GORGEOUS!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce Pit Bull View Post
I'm not a fan of Poodles, but your Standard is GORGEOUS!
How could you not like poodles! J/K Heheh Thanks...he is really my dads dog.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Petfinders tell you if they are good with cats and children etc . Rescue will tell you too ....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

I think as long as you get a puppy, there shouldn't be any problem with the cats. Cat chasers will respect the house cats if they are brought up with them. My two used to chase the cats quite a bit, but have grown much better about it, and I have no worry that they will hurt a cat... at least not one of ours.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

why not get another bichon??? I have friends with spitz, and they can be very very stubborn and have their own agenda's *vbg*..Kees are nice dogs, loads of grooming, the last one, I believe is a herding breed? there was one in my agility class, nice dog, very friendly but very barky..

How about a puppy from a shelter????? just some ideas
diane
Old 12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

I honestly think you stand a better chance of getting a dog that is suitable for your needs from a rescue. These foster homes know what the dog's problems and strengths are. A puppy could still turn out to be a big barker or have other problems.

www.lppboutique.com