Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-18-2005, 06:02 PM
~3 Mutts~

Thanks Adrienne!!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

I have Dante on the Kirkland Chicken and Rice which is actually a really good food. His coat is glossy and shimmers, and I'm nervous about buying the adult food as I don't want this to go away!!! I planned on doing it at 16 weeks.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Quigleyfied

adult food is healthier for large breed puppies than regular puppy food. but one thing you absolutely must be aware of is that the adult food needs to state that it is "for all lifestages". if it only says "for maintenance" it is not enough to support healthy growth, not even for large breed puppies.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
~3 Mutts~

Mordy, what about Large Breed Puppy food? Is it different?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Top Dog

I absolutely disagree with NOT feeding puppies puppy food. There are vital trace minerals and other nutrients in proper amounts, which are essential for puppies to develop properly, in puppy food. It is designed for them. What causes bone and joint problems in large breed dogs is primarily being overweight as puppies. You can cause a lot of damage by depriving your puppy of these nutrients. I recommend looking into it further and consider your sources from where you get your information. Talk to vets. Believe it or not, they have gone to school for a very long time and studied anatomy and physiology of animals, know how their bones develop etc.... and you can even find a nutritionalist.

I've had GSDs, Labs, larger sized mutts, Doberman, smaller dogs and I always fed puppy food for a year. Get a premium one like Chicken Soup or Canidae, Innova....there are several. I've never had a dog with any hip or other skeletal problems what so ever, other than a little old age arthritis.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:07 AM
~3 Mutts~

So, I SHOULD keep them on puppy food? LOL Now I'm confused...
Old 04-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Top Dog

I have alway had large breed dogs for the first few months they were fed puppy food then changed over to adult food, I NEVER fed puppy food til they were twelve months old, puppy food has higher concentrations of all ingredients and the puppies tend to have growth spurts (which you dont want) as this can cause joint problems at a later date, having had dogs for approx 30 years I have never barr one(which I got as a 16month old that had been fed puppy food til over 12 months)had any problems with the joint on my dogs. I now feed a raw diet,(I have been for quite some years) which is basically the same for adults and puppies apart from amounts, so I cannot condone shoving oversupplimented puppy food into a young dog.

Mo
Old 04-19-2005, 07:18 AM
~3 Mutts~

I'm just going to buy Canidae, because you can feed it to puppies, adults, and seniors. Nice, simple, food LOL.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Love my pets

Canidae is a good food. Innova is coming out with a Large Breed Puppy food I believe this week. My local pet store has it on order for me so I can give it to Kona. She will eat that until a year old and then I will slowly put her on Innova EVO. She also has raw chicken in her diet. We buy Bravo that grinds it up so it looks like ground chicken and comes frozen. She loves it.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:34 AM
~3 Mutts~

Barb, what breed is Kona? She's beautiful.