Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Yee Wee Beastie

Smile Elevated Feeding Bowls

Hey guys! I was reading an article the other day that stated that it's better for a dog to eat from elevated feeding bowls than from the floor. Is this true? Why? If so, do you think those bowl stands sold at Petsmart, etc. are good quality? Thanks so much!

Thanks to stevinski for this awesome siggie!

Old 12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Pit Lover

Yep, I got mine from PetSmart. It's very unnatural for a dog to bend down that low to the ground.

Keeping their food elevated prevents problems in the future when they grow older. It's like people and hunching.

I even keep my cats food elevated. I think it's important, and protects their health. Physical health anyway.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It's better for their digestion - simple physics, really. If you consider when the dog is leaning down to eat their food, gravity is also pushing down, and they're trying to swallow the food UP to get it into their digestive tract... it's not comfy. Elevated food bowls also tend to help them to swallow less air.
It's also easier on dogs with joint problems/arthritis if they don't have to bend down!

You don't need to invest in the food stands they sell in stores... you can use lots of stuff you probably already have around the house or build yourself a simple box with a little lip to keep the bowls from sliding off. =>

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Pit Lover

I used a shoe box for a while, but it warped and felll apart.

I bought a cheap tiny stool at Ross to put my cats food one. I bought the whole set at Petsmart though. It was only $10!!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce Pit Bull View Post
It's very unnatural for a dog to bend down that low to the ground.
I was just thinking the opposite - that dogs naturally eat from the ground all of the time, and us positioning food on platforms for them is just...well, our fussing. Similar for horses, cows, cats... It doesn't quite compute for me that the 15 seconds it takes a dog to eat dinner could be 'harmful' in any detectable way...

But, then again, I guess in nature they would eat lying down more often - with a carcass that takes some eating, rather than just mushy food all conveniently taken off the bone for them and dumped in a bowl by us.

Del.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Pit Lover

It's not just our "fussing" Health problems have come up from constant bending, stooping, etc. It is very unnatural. Like it's bad for people to hunch over all the time. We need good posture, and always hunching is eventually going to cause some kind of pain, or discomfort, old or not.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Yee Wee Beastie

Thanks guys! I guess Jester is gonna be getting another Christmas present...

Thanks to stevinski for this awesome siggie!

Old 12-03-2006, 04:06 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I also use a raised feeding bowl, but it's maybe a foot. I wouldn't go too high.

There is a ongoing debate about raised food bowls, though. Some say no, some say yes. It is natural for dogs for dogs to eat at ground level, but most dogs on the same level of their food (laying down while eating, etc.) and not having to bend down.

I just usse extreme caution, no mamtter how I feed my boys. Do what you feel is right and comfortable for your dog.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

I feed my dogs on the ground. But I have a Doberman who is a breed prone to bloat. Toker is also rather deep chested. My Chi's couldn't reach an elevated bowl. LOL.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/home/....asp?ID=120686
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

I feed mine on the ground, I have deep chested breeds also. I had asked my vet about the elevated bowls, she told me that studies show bloat was higher in dogs that had elevated bowls. My mothers doberman had bloat at 10 years and had to have emergency surgery.