Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Top Dog

Default Possible Stroke? Ear Infection? She needs a vet.

My llewellin setter, Emily, will be 8 years old in March. I noticed today that she was constantly holding her head crooked or tilted... on the same side, always. She is still a hyper girl, but acting a bit different. Weather might be an influence-- although I live in Oklahoma... it's been between 7 and 20 degrees these past couple days, with a -1 windchill. [I was out of school today and yesterday due to the snow... we received about 8+ inches.] All four of my dogs are kept outside... they have ALWAYS been [parents rules]. So the dogs are used to Oklahoma's continues change in weather. They have a HUGE [approx. 7 x9 feet], insulated dog house to keep them warm. So I'm not sure if weather was a factor or not. Today, she jumped up on the fence to greet me, and fell over... the same side that her head is tilted. She just bounced right back up, after she completely rolled over. I know her foot hit the water bucket, but normally she has more balance and control over herself. I'm a little worried. Once I told my dad about her, he said, "oh I noticed that yesterday... once the weather gets better [even though it's stopped snowing, and the temps are warming up], we'll call the vet." He said, "it's almost like she had a stroke." I was thinking she had an ear infection... but she's was not sensitive when I rubbed her ear and around that area.

Has anyone ever had this happen to one of their dogs?? Does this sound like an ear infection? Stoke?

Anything would be great. Thank you.

Lucy Lu Deboner Ward CGC TDI (& 2 legs toward RN), Golden Retriever
Lily Lu Deboner Ward, Golden Retriever
Emily Deboner Ward, Llewellin Setter
Abby Deboner Ward, English Setter

I've been Frosted!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Pit Lover

That is NOT a stroke.

There could be water or something in her ear.

Dogs should NOT be kept in weather that cold, unless it's a Husky, or other related breed.

8 is pretty old for a large breed dog. She should probably be checked out by a vet.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce Pit Bull View Post
That is NOT a stroke.

There could be water or something in her ear.

Dogs should NOT be kept in weather that cold, unless it's a Husky, or other related breed.

8 is pretty old for a large breed dog. She should probably be checked out by a vet.
Thank you for the quick reply. It's good to know that she didn't have a stroke. I COMPLETELY AGREE with you that dogs shouldn't be kept outside in this kind of weather, but my parents will not ever change their minds [sadly]. A few years back, I typed up a paper about the effects of cold weather on dogs... Trust me, I've tried everything. They've had dogs for over 20 years, and none of them have ever been hurt due to cold temperatures. Most llewellins live to be about 10-12 years, or more [Similar to Goldens]. She weighs about 45-50lbs... so she's not TOO big. I agree, she should see a vet... hopefully I'll talk my Dad into calling him tomorrow. Heck, I should call. I've called him before... and he comes straight to the house. Or I could take her there myself [if the roads aren't too bad]. Not a big deal right?

I've been Frosted!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Pit Lover

It's always hard when everything's under your parents' control. They have their own mind set, and they choose to do what they want. Like keeping the dog outside, or not taking it to the vet.

At least you're doing what you can. Do you have a camera or a video camera? You can record your dogs actions, like the head tilting to show the vet yourself.

Do tell your parents you will take her yourself. It shows repsonsibility, and will hopefully make them want to pay for the visit Hehe

Good luck! Keep me posted!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:05 AM
*Biter*

It sounds as if she has an inner ear infection. A simple scoping of the ear by your veterinarian and a swabbing checked out under the microscope should provide the answers you need.

The tilting of the head is a very common symptom of ear infections/irritations.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
I need a signature re-vamp. Anyone up for the task?

Paws Jaws and Wrecking Balls
Old 12-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfacedanes View Post
It sounds as if she has an inner ear infection. A simple scoping of the ear by your veterinarian and a swabbing checked out under the microscope should provide the answers you need.

The tilting of the head is a very common symptom of ear infections/irritations.
Thank you! It is very good to hear that this shouldn't be too big of a deal. IF it is taken care of soon, ofcourse.

I've been Frosted!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Top Dog

Inner ear infection or brain tumor. I have seen dogs with both act this way. Your dog needs to see a vet quickly, but I think you know this. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:55 AM
overdogged

old dog vestibular disease is also a possibility. if it's that, most dogs do recover from it. she needs to see a vet ASAP.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

My neighbor's old dog has this . Vet time !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

Showpug, Elegy, & Bubbatd,

Thanks for your responses.

----------------------------------

Update:

I checked on Emily first thing this morning. She is still tilting her head. She was sitting in the same spot for nearly 10+ minutes, not moving. Then she got up, walked a bit, and went into the dog house.

I am EXTREMELY frustrated right now. My Dad now believes that "she just needs to drink some water". Idiot. And my Mother is saying, "she just has a kink in her neck... stop worrying about it... she's fine!" Then got mad at me. Why are they so stupid sometimes!?

I guess all I can do is compromise and call the vet on Monday???

I've been Frosted!