Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-01-2006, 12:27 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Default bloat

i could google it, but what is the fun in that

no, seriously... i trust you guys more than 12 pages on google mostly contradicting each other.

are shelties at risk for bloat?
what are the symptoms?
what causes it?
do i need to worry about Ruckus's raw diet causing bloat?

thank you
Old 12-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

I lost a dog to bloat...more formally called "gastric torsion." Any dog can get it, but the very large, deep chested breeds are more prone to it. The dog I lost to bloat was a female aussie/rottie mix and it was just before her 2nd birthday.

The symptoms are usually composed of a tight, firm abdomen and a dog that appears very restless and uncomfortable. Most common is a dog that tries to throw up and nothing comes up. They gag and act like they are going to vomit but they can't produce anything more than maybe a little foam etc.

Usually, you can tell that something is seriously wrong. The dog can seem almost panicky.

No one knows for sure what causes bloat. There are many theories. Raw diets are suppose to be better for preventing bloat.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:37 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

from what i gather isnt bloat diet related and genetic?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Felurian

Check out the info on bloat at www.greatdanelady.com

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Luckily I've never had a case . Sure would be scary !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

I like that site Renee. Came across it the other day when looking for ear glueing diagram for an Irish owner. Hi Ruckus' mom... it is not common in Shelties. As showpug stated, specific breeds, deeper chested breeds seem to be more at risk. Also, a raw diet will not be a cause for bloat in a dog. I've dealt with this in dogs, as well as horses. Always a good rule of thumb... do not feed and water just before strenuous physical activity. Monitor water after exercise. (Don't allow them to drink excessive amounts) And do look up site that referances signs of bloat, so that you know what it looks like. It comes on very quickly and you have very limited time to make it to the vet if the intestine has actually flipped.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Top Dog

i don't think it's genetic but i could be wrong. i know there was one time i had a scare... yoshi was throwing up and hadn't gone to the bathroom in a while. but she was acting fine other than that. the vet told me to listen to her stomach and see if i heard llittle pops and gurgles that the stomach makes normally i did and they said she should be ok but if she wasn't in an hour more to take her in. don't know if that helps at all but that's what happened with me ^^:;

Old 12-02-2006, 10:23 PM
But please, call me Barb

Actually there is some thought that Bloat is at least partially caused by gentics.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/exoc...nsufficie.html
Old 12-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Puppy Dog

I have also lost a dog to bloat.

They say that one of the risk factors is having a relative that bloated. In my case, my dog's full brother had bloated and was saved a few years before my dog bloated and torsed and couldn't be saved.

The half sister of these two also had a minor bloat episode that I caught very early, and she was tubed. One of her puppies has been lost to bloat, another suffered a bloat but was saved. And one of her half sister's puppies was also lost to bloat.

I think it's extremely reasonable to consider that it's genetic when you look at the above scenario. OTOH, it's a deep chested breed that is prone so is it the simple risk of being that breed or is it genetic? Who knows?

One should definitely read all they can on it and BE PREPARED. Your own vet may not be able to deal with a torsion case and you may get sent on to another emergency or after hours clinic. KNOW where these are, and know how to get there.

Do not think you are safe by feeding a raw diet. I have occasionally read of dogs that bloated on the raw diet. As far as I'm concerned, no one is safe. Don't ever be complacent about something so deadly.

You can follow all the guidelines that float around out there and still experience it. The dog I lost ate his breakfast and went back to bed and bloated. He wasn't doing anything. He wasn't exercising. He didn't drink too much. He wasn't anxious or nervous. He absolutely didn't fall into most of the risk factors other than being a Doberman and having a relative that bloated.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I know a collie breeder and her line of collies has had many bloat problems. leads me to consider genetics.
the collie breeder i work for wouldnt bred any of her dogs to her because she was also thinking its something with genetics.