Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Big Dog

Default Winterized Thermostat settings w/ pets

As it starts to drop below freezing, I find myself wondering how low I can drop the thermostat during the day and while sleeping. This is our first winter with Mason. Last winter I would let it get down to 65 degrees inside during those times. Do you think this is too cold for an indoor dog like Mason? He seems like a trooper when we go for his nightly walk, despite the cold temps, but I want him to be comfortable when inside while not increasing my electric bill more then necessary.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Are you dead yet?

65 degrees is ideal for my dogs. Dakota actually pants if it goes above 70.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Yorkie Love

I think if you can handle it, he can probably handle it.

Obviously, If you like to sit outside in the snow all night that is not going to work for him... but if you like it a little cooler in the house, your pup will be fine too.

Your dog is very lucky that he is allowed to live inside and that you care so much about him that you are concerned about him being comfortable.

Elissa
Old 11-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

Great question... I'd like to know too. I have no control over the temp in my apartment, but I know that sometimes it gets down to 65 in here especially at night. It doesn't bother me at night cause I sleep under a heavy quilt, but I wonder about how Hudson's doing! If it gets that cold during the day, I call the landlord up to turn up the heat. I'm home all day and can't stand it too cold...

[Hudson's Blog] -- [Dogster Page] -- [My Website]
Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Puppy Dog

I was wondering this too, as I have a 4 month old pup and I don't want it to be too cold for him. I like it chilly and he sleeps on the floor. We have in-floor heating though, so I guess I should put a thermometer on the floor for a bit and make sure he isn't getting too hot too.
lol, I guess I worry too much considering how many dogs sleep outside and in bad conditions.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Top Dog

I have my house set at 65% . Ollie and I are both comfortable . Basically dogs are more healthy at a cooler temp. Of course if your toys are shivering , raise their beds off the floor and add more blankets to their beds. In the summer , Ollie's on my bed only 1/2 the night . He's now on all night .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Pit Lover

Nope, it's fine. He has fur
Old 11-30-2006, 03:34 AM
Alexa's~Mom

Yeah, he should be fine.

And if you're worried, buy a little heater and stick it in the corner of a room. That way if he gets cold, he can just go lay in front of it.

Thats what I do for Alexa, since my mom likes it so cold at night. She either curls up with me (which I don't mind, considering she keeps me warms too, haha) or she'll curl up by the heater.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Hmm I never thought about it, but Charlie sleeps in his crate with us in the bedroom and has his bed and a blanket in there, so hes pretty comfy.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Top Dog

Dulce already said it- your dog has a fur coat! I leave my thermostat at 65 all the time. We also have a parrot and she has no problems with it being cool either. Our cat will sleep under a heat vent sometimes but the dogs seem to prefer it cool. It was warm here last night, in the upper 60's, and I could hear Gunnar panting all night.