Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
JP Cattle Co.

Howdy and dittos to your post Gempress!!! Though my dogs work cattle and live on a ranch, their health and hygiene are meticulously maintained to minimize risks for them, livestock, and us. Of concern to me, is the illegal exotic game that's being sold to the general public without any quarantine period or advising the owner of the health risks involved---it's frightening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
I agree, it is not an anti-pet article in the least. It only seems that way because quotes that could be considered anti-pet have been accentuated in bold.

All it's saying is that pepole often discount the health risks of having a pet, and should be aware of possible health issues arising from pets. And I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Other humans are the most risky "animals" to be around in terms of spreading diseases. Because, duh, they have diseases that are infectious to us (other humans), whereas dog diseases tend to be infectious towards other dogs. Even fleas come in specific "varieties"--dog fleas prefer dogs, cat fleas prefer cats, etc. Of course there are some things you can catch from pets. There's something bad pregnant women can catch from cats (I forget what, but they say other people should clean kitty's litter box, not someone preggers), ringworm can be caught by humans, and a lot of the hookworms and tapeworms and such can be caught by humans. And we can't forget bird flu! It's good to be aware of that.

But in general small children are the biggest spreaders of disease, not pets.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Harumph™©®

Well all of this does fly in the face of all the data presented regarding "Pet Prescriptions". Time and again studies have shown that pets reduce high blood pressure and triglycerides and have a positive affect on the elderly who are often lonely and seeking a reason to live, shut ins, disabled who would never be able to live happy productive lives without their beloved therapy animals, the blind...well....you get the picture.

As for me, someone could take my pets out of my cold dead hands, regardless of these risks, and even if they sneak a face lick now and then. This would be especially so in the face of a deadly illness, when people tend to abandon you and your pets do not.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Top Dog

I was watching the dog whisperer last night and a woman was training her dog to be a service dog to help her with her panic attacks. I suffer from sever panic disorder myself and thought I might try to get Bentley qualified as a service dog.

I agree w/Tosca. I suffer allergies and asthma for my dogs because they do something MORE important for me.... they keep my mood up and keep my happy. The risk does not outweigh what my spirit gets from my pups. I am a happier person because of them and they give me reason to get up in the morning when I'm feeling low and depressed.

www.lppboutique.com
Old 11-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Scum scum scum scum..SCUM

Oh dear.. most of the reason people get sick now is because their bodies can't build up an immunity to anything anymore.. it doesn't have a chance to. All the insane cleaning, hand sanitizer stuff.. everyone's so scared of germs! It's madness! What's the worse that can happen if you DO get sick from your dog? I mean really? You'll get the poops? A little nauseous? OH NO!
I can understand if someone has special conditions.. immune system problems or something.. but come on! There are bigger things to worry about I think..

Thanks BP!! I LOVE it!! I'VE BEEN FROSTED! I have been befriended by Buddy'sParents! YAY!

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill,
Laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
~Rupert Brooke

Nature hates calculators.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To me a lush carpet of pine needles or spongy grass is more welcome than the most luxurious Persian rug.
~Helen Keller

TBPC "Smokin"
Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

With the organ donation thing-thats all whoever is in charge of the donations fault. Here you have to know what the person died from and explain all there symptoms. I knwo the last bad case I heard of was the rabies one(I don't know if thats what they mentioned in this article-I didn't read it all ). I cna't beleive that got through becuase that perosn had to have symptoms but I guess some strage stuff happens. Rabies isn't one of the tests they run obviously but you think there could have been a way to prevent that. rabies could have come from a bat so that doesn't really go back to pets. I see more cases of wrong blood types.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 11-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Harumph™©®

ROFL Squid. In most places around the country, you are more apt to get those symptoms from drinking the tap water that is declared "safe".
Old 11-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
I agree, it is not an anti-pet article in the least. It only seems that way because quotes that could be considered anti-pet have been accentuated in bold.

All it's saying is that pepole often discount the health risks of having a pet, and should be aware of possible health issues arising from pets. And I agree wholeheartedly.
Me bad bold person

Actually there where a lot of good points about the benefits of pets as well, but the writer does kinda scrike me as a germaphobe (is that a word )