Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Show Dog

My dog does not eat dung, drink out of the toilet bowl, and is not shedding salamonella as far as I know. Guess I am alright.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:24 PM
Top Dog

Interesting, (and factual) article. Working in veterinary hospitals a long time ago, for me, I've gone thru ring worm, complete disinfecting processes when I've been sprayed with blood, handled leukemia cats, parasites, giardia dogs often having to change my clothes and scrub before going home to my own pets and kids. Now, as a kennel owner, I'm all too aware of how crutial it is to keep a very sanitary environment when dealing with multiple dogs. Some of the viruses and parasites these days are pretty horrendous. Does this change how I handle my own dogs? Nope... I must admit I share food, they sleep with me on occassion, and we love a good snuggle. I just make sure they are in good health, very regularly wormed because of the other animals and livestock they're exposed to and are kept very clean.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Dafuq?

There is a danger in all things. You can die choking on a peanut. You can get sick going out in public where there is 2nd-hand smoke, fumes from cars and factories, etc. A piece can fall off a plain and bean you in the head. The benefits of owning pets outweigh the risks, IMO.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 11-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Top Dog

Having worked in an animal shelter for three years, and having been exposed to the most disgusting animals you can imagine, I can honestly say I have never been healthier. Since working there I have never had the flu or other problems. I do however, get ringworm fairly frequently. Just seem to have a weakness to it. I do let my babies share my food and kiss my face, and it hasn't hurt me yet.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Despite the fact he researches - and gives talks on - the health risks associated with companion animals, Weese if very pro-pet. "In the cost-benefit analysis, I think the benefit greatly exceeds the cost in the vast, vast majority of situations," he says.
I think people are skipping over this quote. Obviously, the article is not anti-pet. I would also have a hard time seeing people getting rid of pets due to this article. I worked in a pet store for a long time, and you'd be amazed how many people thing little little kids- 5, 6, 7- should have reptiles, amphibians, and birds as pets. Never mind the questions about who would be responsible... What about, who will make sure the kid washes his hands every time he cleans the cage, touches the pet, or feeds it?

I think, as pet owners, we do get lax about hygiene. I know I do. But these sorts of articles are good reminders that we can pass things between our pets and ourselves. Something like 80% of emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic. It's just a good idea to keep disease transmission in mind when dealining with our pets- doesn't mean we love them any less!

Adopt your own Siggy Bunny
Old 11-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Walks into Mordor

I agree, it is not an anti-pet article in the least. It only seems that way because quotes that could be considered anti-pet have been accentuated in bold.

All it's saying is that pepole often discount the health risks of having a pet, and should be aware of possible health issues arising from pets. And I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Are you dead yet?

Of course there are health risks when you own a pet, but simple hygeine practices can greatly decrease that risk.

I don't freak out if my dog decides to give me a big smooch on the face. I just wash up afterwards. It's not the end of the world. They both sleep in my bed, I just wash my sheets often and make sure I keep the dogs clean. I keep the dogs free of worms, fleas, ticks, etc that could be shed in the house. I've had dogs all my life and I've always been very healthy. *shrug*

People are trying more and more to live in a perfectly sanitary plastic bubble, I guess.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthDog View Post
I think people are skipping over this quote. Obviously, the article is not anti-pet. I would also have a hard time seeing people getting rid of pets due to this article. I worked in a pet store for a long time, and you'd be amazed how many people thing little little kids- 5, 6, 7- should have reptiles, amphibians, and birds as pets. Never mind the questions about who would be responsible... What about, who will make sure the kid washes his hands every time he cleans the cage, touches the pet, or feeds it?

I think, as pet owners, we do get lax about hygiene. I know I do. But these sorts of articles are good reminders that we can pass things between our pets and ourselves. Something like 80% of emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic. It's just a good idea to keep disease transmission in mind when dealining with our pets- doesn't mean we love them any less!
In reading this thread, that was the exact same feeling that I had. Some people are not getting the point of the article in my opinion. The writer is not anti-pet, he is pro taking some precautions. I see people all the time that feed their kids lunch after they come in from outside without asking them to wash their hands, which isn't very bright. Same goes for playing with your pet and then eating dinner without washing your hands. Might as well dip your asparagus in the toilet bowl before eating it, if your dog is one of the many dogs that use the toilet as a water fountain. I think pet owners practicing some common sense and basic hygiene would eliminate most of the problems.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Top Dog

like others have pointed out, this is pro-pet...

i just was surprised no one commented on those other people dying from those organ donations...that is a HUGE doctor mistake isnt it??? That is really, really sad though

Pets have also shown to reduce blood pressure, stress, anxiety, etc...they are just good for you! yay doggies

Thanks Jessie!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

I guess I should show this article to my husband the next time he shares his ice cream (and spoon) with the "kids".