Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Yorkie Love

My dogs and cat (yes wierd for a cat) are allowed to kiss me wherever they choose and it is usually the face!

I love them more then anything and if I catch something from them, so be it!

I hate extreme articles like this... im sure the article caused some paranoid people to give their pets away.

Elissa
Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
Water Junkie

Oh but I never let other dogs than Lizzie lick me in the face too....I know this my be weird but, I always feel they are never as clean as Lizzie

But yes if I have touched some one elses dog (well depend on who's dog it is) I most of the time wash my hands when I get home.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
overdogged

don't forget cutaneous larval migrans from hookworms! that's probably my favorite grossout zoonotic potential.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
My dogs and cat (yes wierd for a cat) are allowed to kiss me wherever they choose and it is usually the face!

I love them more then anything and if I catch something from them, so be it!

I hate extreme articles like this... im sure the article caused some paranoid people to give their pets away.

Elissa
Charlie kisses me everywere as well, and I will not even consider changing that. Its his way of showing effection.

I really hope no one rehomed there pets due to this article, that would be terrible
Old 11-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

On the other side of the fence. I had a lady-90 years old who had come to live at the home I work at. she had to leave her collie with her daughter. She did not bring her in for visits, even though Evelyn asked for her every single day. She cried for that dog to the end, and I think that she died of a broken heart. Her collie died soon after.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:52 PM
ZooMaster!!

Ahhh I see both sides of the coin here, whilst this fellow seems to be not so favourable on pets, he's info on germs and diseases and zoonoses is correct. When I was studying Animal Technology, zoonoses was a major part of our s tudy. I hadn't even heard of Toxoplasmosis until I started my study, and I was horrified.

I have lived with, yes slept with, kissed, hugged, played, trained and had animals as a part of my life, for my whole life.

I do believe however, the two can come together harmoniously, providing a little care and vigilance is observed. My pets kiss me yes, and I have pet hair from one end of the house to the other, and feathers too :P I do however try my utmost to keep my house, and my family as clean as we can be. Hands are washed, house is regularly cleaned and disinfected, dogs are flead, wormed, vaccinated and washed.

I would like to add that I have lived with, and suffered with allergies, asthma and hayfever for as long as I can remember. Would I part with my beloved furkids? Absolutely not. If however as some have already stated here, that it is vital due to health, then these poor owners have no choice. We don't know what we would do if faced with that terribly traumatic situtation.

All we can do is to remember, to keep it clean, disinfected, vaccinated, and practice appropriate hygiene whereever possible.

Now I'm gonna go hug my babies

Cookiejar Creations
Copyright 2006

I"ve been Frosted by Dulce Pit Bull

MyFurkidsMontage
Old 11-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Yorkie Love

I agree pets need to be kept clean... the dogs are groomed every 6 weeks, the litterboxes are cleaned and disinfected multiple times a week, all animals are given all the vaccines they need and at the slightest sign of illness are off to the vet.

Elissa
Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I just wanted to say....We can't live in a bubble.

True animal lovers will say the benefit outweighs the risk!

I wish they would compare the bacteria and germs of ......say a shopping cart handle to that of a dogs tongue. And I have seen many kids teething on the handles.

Also if you practice common sense and good hygene it lowers the risk.

I have a whole thread on my "Rabies Experience" somewhere. And it is wise to have any puppy with unknown background and unknown vaccs that gets sick and dies to have it tested for rabies. Even if the vet doesn't think it is neccesary. I truly believed my persistance saved our families lives.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Dogs help more than hinder ! My Bushwacker found my skin cancer . And yes , as Renee said , kids growing up around dogs have fewer allergies. I do think that cats and rodents have more issues .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Top Dog

I think it's ridiculous. I have two pet hedgehogs and they are some of the cleanest animals I've seen. They can develop mites and ringworm if left in dirty conditions, but with normal care, that never happens. Also, the part where the article said that they carry salmonella? Not true. It only happens if you leave the pet a treat like chicken and don't ever clean it out of their cage. I got my two hedgies from a reputable breeder and she cleared up all the myths

www.lppboutique.com