Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Top Dog

Didn't read everything everyone said but I would not recommend a corgi as a first dog. They need lots of attention and can have bad barking habits. For how small they are they are still a big dog. HTey can be assertive like herding dogs are and a lot of people think they are just getting a small calm dog.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I was going to answer this when first posted, but I was afraid it would have been the growl heard around the world.!!
Bubb...you're not the only one here who hesitated, not wanting to sound too discouraging...

BUT....the descriptions and the criteria seem very contradicting to me too. "utmost loyalty and affection:" Well, most dogs are, but they need to be attended too in amounts to match. If you're not there, but at school and other activities and later when you're busy with your career, how is the dog going to feel very loyal when it's left alone most of the day? Every dog needs a lot of attention and care. They're pack animals and cannot do it alone. They will be mal adjusted if they are forced to be alone too much or the majority of the time. You want obedience, easy to potty train etc...well, that ALL depends on the amount of time YOU put into it. You get out of a dog what you put in. I don't mean to sound judgemental or assume too much, but with your lifestyle, (what I imagine, having gone to college myself etc ) and your criteria, some of which isn't automatic in any breed, as it sounds like you expect... I would have to agree with Bubb' on this.

Quote:
But, I do have what's perfect for you while in school. It's an Avarti...the "kennel" is Applause.....the cutiest stuffed puppies ever made ! Cuddly, clean,no grooming, and you can take them anwhere with your friends.....even bars.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

Thanks!! Have you seen the Avarti dogs ?? So lifelike !! I gave my Mother one for her 85th birthday as she missed my visits with Bubba so....she'd put hats on him, give him a bone and sunglasses if it was sunny! I know have him beside my bed with happy memories. They aren't cheap...!!! So loveable in many breeds. Naturally, I bought the golden pup.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Active Pup

Hi all,

thanks for the replies. first of all, I'm getting a dog mainly for myself yes, but I live with my family so there's usually someone around at home.

I do not mind adopting and will be looking around at animal shelters. I actually have a weakness for mutts. from what i've heard and read, mutts are less likely to have heridetary problems associated with purebreds.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

You should have posted earlier that you're living at home. That's a HUGE difference !! As long as your family agrees, as he/she will be their dog to watch at least 8 hours a day.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:21 AM
Top Dog

That's a great idea. Very low maintance dog.