Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

Default My dogs have to get a lot of tests and vaccines

I just received a notice from my vet saying my dogs need the following:

Fecal Exam
Heartworm Snap 3-DX Combo Test
Rabines Canine, 3 year
DA2PP 3 year Duramune
Bordatella Annual

Are these all normal procedures?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Happy

Yes. You can decline to have them done, apart from the rabies vaccine, which is a public health issue as well as a health issue for your dog, but they are standard regular maintenance for dogs.

Heartworm's easier to prevent than to cure (and cheaper). DA2PP innoculates against a range of illnesses that used to kill dogs by the thousands - parvo and distemper among them - and seems a worthwhile investment. Bordatella is kennel cough, and the vac is usually recomended (and required) if your dog is going to be in a kennel situation.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Bobsk8

Normal stuff for a dog....
Old 11-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Top Dog

Yup ...all normal .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 PM
whatszmatter

yep all normal and a big reason why leading vet's like Jean Dodd's and Schultz at the U of WI are pressuring vet school's to change their normal vaccine protocols cause of the research they've done showing that all those "normal" vaccines are in fact hurting our animals.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatszmatter View Post
yep all normal and a big reason why leading vet's like Jean Dodd's and Schultz at the U of WI are pressuring vet school's to change their normal vaccine protocols cause of the research they've done showing that all those "normal" vaccines are in fact hurting our animals.
On the site where these suggestions are mentioned there is also a disclaimer stating that this is their opinion and you are best to take the advice of your vet.

http://www.doglogic.com/disclaimer.htm
Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

Dogs are expensive.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Yes, many vets will suggest that you have these tests and vaccines, and many vets will tell you that it is unhealthy to have these done every year. It comes down to personal choices and lifestyles. I personally do not have all of these done. You can have a titer done in replacement of the vaccines and they will tell you if your dog is still covered by previous vaccines. Over vaccinating your dog can cause many serious health problems. And yes, many vet practises and teaching institutes do not advocate yearly vaccination programs because of the associated health risk. A titer can easily tell you if your dog needs a vaccine or not, ask your vet and you can discuss all of the other options.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Bobsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintgirl View Post
Yes, many vets will suggest that you have these tests and vaccines, and many vets will tell you that it is unhealthy to have these done every year. It comes down to personal choices and lifestyles. I personally do not have all of these done. You can have a titer done in replacement of the vaccines and they will tell you if your dog is still covered by previous vaccines. Over vaccinating your dog can cause many serious health problems. And yes, many vet practises and teaching institutes do not advocate yearly vaccination programs because of the associated health risk. A titer can easily tell you if your dog needs a vaccine or not, ask your vet and you can discuss all of the other options.

How much does the titer cost? (approximately)
Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 PM
But please, call me Barb

This is what I did and plan to do each year.

Fecal Exam - Good idea

Heartworm Snap 3-DX Combo Test - I usually test every year, but I'm in low Heartworm area and only use preventitives part of the year

Rabines Canine, 3 year - Only as required by law

DA2PP 3 year Duramune - I titered for Parvo and Distemper (I think it was about $50.00)

Bordatella Annual - I only get this before I board and only because the boarding kennel requires it.