Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 11-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Big Dog

Unhappy Help! Rabbit Health Problems

Ok,
I've got a rabbit whose skin had been looking dry lately...and this morning his face looked really bad..like his skin was wanting to peel off..I dont know how to explain it,and I looked up on the net and couldnt find anything about it. If no one knows, Ill have to take a pic in the morning..
I'm scared it's some kind of disease and she'll pass it to the others..they arent in the same cage, but in the same room. And she has a baby in there with her that isnt weaned yet.
I just started putting rabbit vitamin in their water bottles a few days ago, thinking she wasnt gettin the right kind of nutrition and that might have been the cause. And i have salt blocks in all the cages...a guy told me they need the salt if theyre going to breed...
As you can see I'm confused. I've been keeping rabbits forerver,but never seen anything liek this.
Please help. If anyone knows anything, or a great site, it would be appreciated.
thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

1. salt is completely unnecissary.
2. take her to the vet and see whats wrong! could be mites, fungus... omg the list is endless!
Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Big Dog

whats the salt for,like a treat? lol people will tell you anything to get you to buy something..I'll call our vet tomorrow and see what he thinks..was thinking there might be some of wash or something for irritated skin, or the cold weather was making it dry. I dont see any signs of mites.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

salt isnt even a treat. its stupid crap and rabbits dont even use them.
please call your vet and have your bunny checked out. i betcha it needs antibiotics even if its just irritated skin because its probably infected.
remember rabbits cannot have any "cillins"
no amoxicillin, penicillin, etc
baytril is always my first choice. and if at all possible NEVER get a rabbit wet. it can kill them because of shock, or fear... rabbits can just die of a heart attack if they feel threatened. and there fur doesnt dry right and it can lead to further skin infections, and respiratory probs.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Big Dog

thanks for the advice...
the only reason i asked about the shampoo was because i saw some for rabbits in the pet store today and was wondering how you would bathe a rabbit...mine scratch me enough as it is...I do plan on calling the vet. Do you know if there's any special vitamins or food I should be giving them since theyre breeding? I could probablly just ask all this tomorrow instead of bothering you.
I'd hate for her to die anyways, but it's even more stressful knowing she has a baby.
thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 10:33 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

you dont bath a rabbit... ever

i am sorry, i dont know about what to give a breeding rabbit. why are you breeding them anyway? (just asking ) my buns are fixed.

your not bothering me at all. ask anything you want.
www.houserabbit.org
Old 11-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Since they are clean animals and groom themselves regularly, baths are unnecessary. There are the odd times when they're not getting enough fiber and then in turn produce excess cecals, and get their bums dirty and smelly -- then I hear of people buying those moist pet wipes and wiping them down.

I've never given my rabbit any of the salt/mineral stones they have in pet stores.

And, of course, your safest bet is to bring her to see the vet asap. Rabbits are prey animals and don't show signs of illness until it's usually too late.

Good luck and please keep us posted!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:08 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i've been wondering whats up with your bunny.
what did the vet say?