Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-26-2006, 02:22 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
Many of the owners of pit bulls complain about the large pulling dogs. It seems like they think they do not have a chance when competing against these dogs.
i'm not that familiar with weight pull (sadly, there's not much access to clubs around here. i think it'd be fun to get into with crazy red dog.) but isn't it done by weight class? a proper-sized pit bull wouldn't be pulling against a huge dog, anyway?
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i'm not that familiar with weight pull (sadly, there's not much access to clubs around here. i think it'd be fun to get into with crazy red dog.) but isn't it done by weight class? a proper-sized pit bull wouldn't be pulling against a huge dog, anyway?
Yes weight pulling is done by weight classes. Just one thing I could never understand when I hear some complain how they cannot compete with the large blue or large bully dogs. Back when weight pulling started it was legal to bait the dogs. Pit bulls could be fired up a lot easier than most dogs. It was easier when training and conditioning didn't come into play. I have even seen some use a running lawn mower to entice a dog to pull. Now you cannot tease or bait the dogs the training and strength is more important.
I can't see the reason for complaints.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:40 PM
overdogged

i remember quite awhile ago i was looking up something about weight pull and came across some miniature poodles with titles. that cracked me up. i think that'd be awesome.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Show Dog

I do remember when pulling was just getting started. I just knew that no other dog would ever out pull a pit bull. I had to eat my words.
The best pulling dog I have ever seen was a small female pit bull. If I remember her name was Miss Piggy, a small black and white dog. I think she weighed around 30 lbs. A great dog with a heart as big as she was.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Top Dog

Those dogs are NOT "pit bulls" & only the first of the 2 AB's looks like it could be a decent representation of one (but it's only a head shot & a side one at that so one really can't judge). I have never seen an AB with it's ears cropped, although the dog does have the look of a bred for head size & body size Johnson AB. AB's of the Johnson strain are now bred primarily for their size & looks just as the American Bullys are....maybe they share a little bit in common, eh? Most of the people I know with true working AB's use the Scott line or hybrids.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhead View Post

is this right?
That thing is a mutt. A mongrel, a cur, a mixed-breed, a random-bred. There is nothing right with that dog, and nothing standard about it. The head alone makes it clear that it's a mutant blend of a whole boatload of bad ideas. Don't get me wrong, I love mutts, but that dog is about as purebred as a labradoodle, I don't care how much BS is being slung about ancient bloodlines and 'game' hearts and 'bully' breeds. It's a freaking con job.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delisay View Post
Pick up a copy of Dog Fancy magazine (or any US dog mag) and look in the back at the Classifieds, under APBT. You will see pictures of dogs that are extraordinary - substantially wider, even, than those pics. I couldn't believe it when I saw them - they are like the dog-creature in that Ghost Busters movie.

(e.g. These guys advertise:
http://www.castlekingkennel.com/
http://www.untouchabullpits.com/breedings_2.htm
http://www.komonstersquad.com/html/image7.htm (5 week old pup!)
http://www.komonstersquad.com/html/55.html
http://www.komonstersquad.com/html/182.htm )

Del.
Those dogs are definitely not pit bulls. Dogue de Bordeaux x pits, maybe, but pure pit bulls, definitely not.

And sorry, but I don't find them very attractive at all...
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

The dogs on the castleking site look like they'd get winded walking to the mailbox.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Fuzzy Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
I do remember when pulling was just getting started. I just knew that no other dog would ever out pull a pit bull. I had to eat my words.
The best pulling dog I have ever seen was a small female pit bull. If I remember her name was Miss Piggy, a small black and white dog. I think she weighed around 30 lbs. A great dog with a heart as big as she was.
Is she well-known in the APBT history, more recently?

I have a book, somewhere, dusty and torn, that's not but a few years old, with mention of a small female pit bull who made history with her pull. I can't remember the name, i believe they said she was black, or black and white. I'll have to pull that book out.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchow View Post
Is she well-known in the APBT history, more recently?

I have a book, somewhere, dusty and torn, that's not but a few years old, with mention of a small female pit bull who made history with her pull. I can't remember the name, i believe they said she was black, or black and white. I'll have to pull that book out.
She pulled in the mid 80's. I may be mistaken but I seem to remember she was in the Guiness book of world records for the most weight pulled per pound. A young girl bred, owned, and trained her. I can remember the dog but only can remember the girl was very good looking but I can't remember the name.
When Ed Hinkle first set up his pulling track she was one of the best. Another dog from Okla. named bighead was another. He was a large dog but could pull with the best, no he out pulled the best.