Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 11-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Active Pup

Default Pitbulls and American Bulldogs, look at these pics, are they right?

I was learking though a bulldog forum and they were talking and sharing pics of the top working APBTs no these dogs just look huge to me, way bigger then any ive ever seen in person, i can post links to breeders sites of them but not sure if thats allowed but heres some pics. tell me are these right at all or there something wrong with these dogs?

those are the pitbulls, aren't them a big big? i mean a bit too big?

now here are the american bulldogs, now i read on there, there is actually 2 different breeds within the american bulldogs, i guess a standard and a bully.

is this right?
Old 11-24-2006, 07:33 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

i dont know the answer.
but i will be glad when someone knows and replies! i was just sorta talking about this sort of thing
same dog breed, waaaaay diff looks
Old 11-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Are you dead yet?

There are quite a few knowledgeable APBT people here, but until they arrive . . . There are certain "Pit Bull" lines that resemble the first dog you posted. I believe at least one of them has confessed to mixing in Mastiff-type dogs in order to get the bigger, wider look.

Not sure about the American Bulldogs, but I definitely like the "standard" look better.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:44 PM
ride.or.die

no honey they are not pure APBTS or AmStaffs. They look like they are mix with a mastiff or something, but hey thats my opinion and im sticking to it . But I think they fall under that new breed.. Bully Breed

Cheers

hi guys - jill
Old 11-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Show Dog

The american bulldog comes in two different types. The Scott and Painter types which is a performance bred dog, and the Johnson type dogs that are a larger heavier type dog.
Although many people will say the american bulldog is an ancient breed and has been around for hundreds of years there are some who remember when the above named breeders began their selection of dogs to start their breeding programs. For a while they did not reproduce themselves, they all returned to the size, shape, and looks of the pit bull when bred together. It took several more years before the breed could reproduce themselves. Now they are very well established.
The photos of the apbt are the modern version some people are breeding toward today. They do not fit the standard for either the apbt or the ast. While the size and shape of the apbt can be changed with selective breeding it is widely accepted there was crossbreeding in the examples shown.
Had to go back and change a name.

Last edited by pancho; 11-24-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Active Pup

well it wasn't scott or painter, im pretty sure it was scott or johnson but one of them left so it went into just one breed, but now people are talking about 2 standands in the one breed
Old 11-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Puppy Dog

Here's some pics if your a more visual learner (like me lol)

I like the color of the second pic of the apbt...
but it looks staffy to me lol

this pic was on the ukc "standard" site

with american bulldogs
Though starting with much of the same stock, one can easily see how the lines would quickly diverge into the courageous and agile "Scott" or "Standard" type dogs and impressive, often more man-aggressive "Johnson" or "Bully" type dogs.

Gr. Ch. Boyd's Air Jordan
scott

Boyd's Smashing Pumpkin, OFA Good
Johnson
Old 11-24-2006, 08:09 PM
and Spy.

The dont 'personally' very pittie to me. I could see some mastiff mixed in there somewhere.

I imagine the pittie to be quite a bit leaner, not so... Wide.

Besides, they are supposed to be athletic. I bet that one couldn't run the length of my garage withought wheezing.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:33 PM
overdogged

meh. the first pit bull is the typical short and wide. blech. an atrocity to call that a pit bull, imo. not at all in the spirit of the breed. the second one is better- has some leg to it and a more reasonable chest- but still overdone. i love the tri-color though, though i prefer not dilute.

i don't know much about american bulldogs.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Top Dog

Its very short and very wide...the head is massive...they're probably breeding for those looks, and not for health or standards..which is irresponsible to me.
I'll tell you one thing...it doesn't fit the standards, that's for sure!

The fourth one, the white, definately DOES NOT look like a pit bull.

Last edited by pitbulliest; 11-25-2006 at 01:15 PM.