Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Default New rescued stray Husky won't eat

I recently rescued a 2 year old female husky from a shelter (she was LITERALLY minutes away from being put to sleep when we went to get her). The guy at the shelter said that she had been fed Pedigree but since she had only been at that particular shelter for the one night she hadn't eaten any of it. Well I went out and bought her Eagle Pack and she wouldn't touch it, literally snubbed her nose at it. So I mixed in some canned food with the kibble and she still wouldn't eat it. Yesterday I tried mixing in so chicken brooth in with the food and she still wouldn't eat it. Well today I went out to the store and bought ground beef, and cottage cheese. I mixed in the cooked and rinsed ground beef, rice, and cottage cheese in with the food. I was hoping she would eat something. Well she barely ate it (maybe like two bites). She will eat treats ok though. Has anyone else had this problem? I took her to the vet today. Her teeth look fine, and he said she seems really healthy (except for arthritis in her back legs). Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:23 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Victor wouldn't eat anything the first month that i had him home.(he was a rescued dog that went from the shelter to a private kennel for a second chance at adoption) .i was frantic to put weight on him and he turned his head away from everything i offered...i ended up stuffing him with tubes of nutrical. Shaffer our stray wasn't too interested in food either the first week (he has since been making up for lost time) so i wonder if it is a stress reaction..Victor now eats twice a day of a good food ( i followed Mordy's advice) and is looking good.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:50 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Should I only allow her her kibble or should I give her whatever I can get her to eat. It seems she will eat table scraps (she is an excellent begger) and she will eat most treats. I don't want her to just eat table scraps but I don't know what is the best way to handle this, should I just wait it out?
Old 04-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Island dweller

I'd feed her whatever she'll eat but when she starts eating regularly don't let her get spoiled!
Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 PM
Rusty but Trusty

That's the thing she will eat people food/soft dog treats regularly. She just won't eat her dog food. I want her to eat dog food I don't want her eating people food and treats all the time.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:10 AM
Top Dog

She wont starve herself. put her food down, if not eaten in 10 mins take it away, to be offered later in the day, start as you mean to go on. I have Alaskan Malamutes. had the same problem with my male dog, maybe it has been used to a raw diet? if so kibble is a poor substitute and not very appealing. Northern breed dogs can be extremely stubborn, and although I do think there is an element of unsettlment in new environment, the food issue could also be the dogs way of getting a measure of YOU, to see how far it can push you, dont give tidbits dont give treats, ensure that it has no access to any other food than what you are presenting to it. As you say the dog is healthy, apart from the back legs, BTW if it is having pain this can put it off eating a little. I have given you a link on your other post fro a product that another husky owner has been giving his dogs with arthriis with great results. good luck be firm and give the dog all the love you can.

Mo
Old 04-16-2005, 08:37 AM
~3 Mutts~

Good advice, Moe! I was going to suggest the same thing; you don't need to feed her table scraps. No healthy dog will starve itself. She'll learn; just don't give in to the "puppy eyes" LOL. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2005, 08:44 AM
BusterLove

just try different things, liked a BBQ chicken, but take out all the bones
Old 04-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Felurian

Moe and Smkie will put you on the right track here. Just don't make a big deal out of it: put the food down like Moe suggested and walk away and leave it alone for awhile. Come back and check in 10 or 20 minutes (I'm inclined to give a little extra time at first) and pick up whatever's not eaten. Do that two or three times a day and he should get the idea.

There's nothing wrong with a little garnish of lean meat, cooked or raw, just don't give any treats between meals. When he starts eating you can give him a raw bone to work on too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well I have sort of good and sort of bad news about the food situation. She will eat the hard food if I feed it to her by hand. If I put it in her bowl she will walk away. I haven't been giving her any treats or people food of any kind. Although my almost one year old daughter is constantly dropping this or that on the floor and she is finding it and eating it. She will however eat canned food from her bowl. I don't know why she will eat one but not the other. And the only canned food she will eat is Pedigree beef and rice. I am trying to move her to a better canned food if she must insist on eating canned. So I have been slowly mixing in Eagle Pack with the Pedigree. Also if I mix in dry kibble with the can she will pick around the kibble. I know canned food is not the best for her but I figured that if that's what she wants then it is worth the extra visits to the vets to get her teeth cleaned.