Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Pit Lover

Non-DA Pits DO exist. Mine isn't DA. I think you will luck out

It is a good idea to get a pup, however, because there are SO many at shelters.

Before you adopt, you bring your current dogs to meet the new one, and do a "trial run" there at the shelter to see if they're compatable. If it works out, then great, if not, don't take the chance no matter how much you like the dog.

Go to: www.badrap.org You will find TONS of info on there
Old 11-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Pit Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1 View Post
Normally I'd say an adult dog, but considering the number of pit bulls from dog-aggressive backgrounds (and I mean breeding here, not abuse), I think that in this case your best chance of getting a dog who's not dog-aggressive is to buy a purebred American Staffordshire from an AKC breeder who a) acknowledges that dog-aggression is both an aspect of the breed and a problem and b) makes every effort to get puppies who aren't dog-aggressive.
As people have said here before, AmStaffs at shows interact peacefully with many other dogs as a matter of course; they are probably the least likely to be dog-aggressive.

Too many dog-aggressive dogs are selective; they tolerate small dogs and hate big dogs, play well with black dogs and try to kill white dogs. True of any dog, yes. But when pit bulls get serious about hurting or killing another dog, it's very quick and very likely to end in death or serious injury. That would make me pause before adopting a pit bull from an unknown background into my home if I already owned dogs, especially if the resident dogs were not pit bulls. There would just be too many variables for my peace of mind - the breed's tendencies and abilities, the unknown background, the size/power discrepancy, etc.

I do not at all agree with your post.

Staffies have the ability to be just as aggressive as an APBT. I don't care HOW legit the breeder is. It's in their blood..so to say a Staffie is less likely to be DA as an APBT, is silly.

You see them behving at shows because they are TRAINED to do so. Do you see them playing with other dogs there? No. It's a show, and they take it seriously. Friendly, yes..never DA, no.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:40 PM
We are Home.

i didnt mean it to sound like they are all da lol. i just answered quick but what you said is true neither of my two are. Tytus is more than likely going to play then anything unless the dog tries to hurt me LOL.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Pit Lover

That wasn't aimed at you...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:44 PM
We are Home.

i know i was jsut like how can i forget to say that LOL.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Pit Lover

I believe that I read somewhere that when Pits reach full maturity, around 3 or 4 years old, their temperment changes, and can become "crazy". It sounds weird, but it's true. They've been known to have a complete personality change at that age, and become even MORE agressive than the norm.

Be careful of adopting one 3 years and up.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Pit Lover

Oh, hehe
Old 11-21-2006, 05:44 PM
overdogged

i'd get an adult, preferably from a pit bull rescue who knows what they're doing. any time you get a pup, no matter where the pup comes from, there's a lot of unknowns. with a dog who is fully matured, they're often pretty "what you see is what you get".

and remember, if you do get a pit bull, it should never be left unsupervised with your other dogs.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce Pit Bull View Post
I believe that I read somewhere that when Pits reach full maturity, around 3 or 4 years old, their temperment changes, and can become "crazy". It sounds weird, but it's true. They've been known to have a complete personality change at that age, and become even MORE agressive than the norm
most pit bulls reach social maturity around two years of age, give or take. it's not that they become "crazy", but rather they lose some of the tolerence and happy-go-luckyness of puppyhood.

(this happens with pretty much all dog, but can be more pronouced with pit bulls and dog-aggression)
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Kiss&Tell

I'd get a puppy
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2