Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy722
I heard that when dogs get spayed or neutered they tend to eat more. I don't know why but people say that. Do you guys think it has to do with their inbalance hormones?
My vet said to me whe I had Gus neutered, that he may gain weight, not due to hormones or anything it's just that Male dogs have only two things on their minds, Food and Procreating. When you take one of them out of the picture, that leaves eating!! And gosh how they will eat!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
My vet said to me whe I had Gus neutered, that he may gain weight, not due to hormones or anything it's just that Male dogs have only two things on their minds, Food and Procreating. When you take one of them out of the picture, that leaves eating!! And gosh how they will eat!!
Ha, maybe that is what happend to Blackie. lol He LOVES to eat!
Old 04-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Don't encourage me..

Lol! certainly happened to Gus!! He wouldn't eat anything before he was "fixed", I used to worry about him constantly!! He would only eat like every 4 days no matter what I gave him!! If I put a steak down he wouldn't touch it!! And now he eats anything and everything!!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

You might ask your vet if it could possibly be due to a thyroid problem. That being ruled out, it is probably just that she is taking in more calories than she's expending, pretty much the usual reason for being overweight. So, just cut back the amount more. Also, don't forget treats add up and like it was said, she may be getting food from someone else. She obviously doesn't need what she's getting. And I agree with cutting back the carbs. Dogs eat meat and that's about all they need.

My Lab, as she got older really had a tendancy to gain weight and I cut her back significantly. It looked terrible...like I was hardly giving her anything. Twice a day she got 3/4 to 1 cup and she was a 75 LB dog at normal weight. But even with the walks, she must not have been burning too many calories.

Did you ever consider a raw food diet?

Well....good luck. You're right to be concerned. Obesity will shorten her life. Let us know what you and your vet come up with.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Corgi bum

Good point Smkie....we are all really good about not feeding her snacks!!! When she exhibits a good behavior she might get a little treat. I do need to ask my neighbors, however if they have been slipping her treats over the fence. When I take my dogs over to their house it's like going to Grandma and Grandpa's. One time when I took Jackson Browne, my Doxie over there, I went to the bathroom while I was there for a visit, and when I came out she was about to feed him a piece of coconut cream pie. JB wasn't very happy with me when I came out and put a stop to that. LOL He thought he was about to have a taste of heaven. I will check with them and she if they have been slipping her goodies.

Thanks,
Dena