Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Active Pup

Default heel

Hi, I am teaching my four month old puppy to heel right now by using his favorite treat or toy (in the beginning a treat works the best) and holding it in my right hand with Kesh's head parallel with my left knee on the left side, then I put the treat waist high over by the left side of my waist and say heel start walking and continue walking and praising, while keeping the dog moving with me by using the treat as an incentive, then when I stop I have him sit and praise him again. I only actually give him food once awhile. It is working really well for all of the dogs in my class.

Good Luck!

Tarna
Old 04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Ok, thanks. I'll try doing what you guys have suggested. He stays by my left side once he is tired, but when he still has energy, he wants to go. (Which means, not staying by my left side but bouncing ahead.)

And, one more quick question. Would it be to confusing for him to have him know that when I say, "Let's go" he can walk on a loose leash, but when I say "heel" I need him to walk on my left side?

Oh, I had to add this. I had him outside yesterday and we were practicing our heels. I had a bacon treat (Begg'n strip) in my pocket (I like to train with those because I can break them up small and my dogs LOVE them). I told Blackie heel and started walking. I looked down at him and he was bouncing along my left side looking at me like, "Ok, can I have the treat now? How about now? Now? How 'bout now? Now, please?" I started cracking up and I praised him alot and gave him part of the treat. It was just so funny because he was in an almost perfect heel position and was looking at me, but he was prancing around giving me the look like, "I'm happy! So give me the treat already!" lol
Old 04-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Would it be to confusing for him to have him know that when I say, "Let's go" he can walk on a loose leash, but when I say "heel" I need him to walk on my left side?
No, it wouldn't be confusing. Those are two different ways of going and he is capable of understanding the difference. My dog does that too, "let's go" means a loose leash or if off leash, to stick around close. "Heel" means heel, (LOL) a tight, formal, neat heel with his shoulder even with my left leg.

It sounds like he's doing wonderfully and you're giving him a good time while he's learning. That's terrific! That prancing along, looking at you is just the thing I strive for and treats and praise are great at times like those. Good work Blackie!
Old 04-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

Talking Ok, another brag.

Sorry if you guys are getting sick and tired of my bragging, but I've never had a reason to brag about my dogs before and now I do! (I just can't help it......lol)
Well, I was just outside with the dogs for their evening exercise and I had Wesley (my 9yr old brother) clip Rose on the retractable leash and walk her around a bit. While Wes was doing that, I was going to work on heeling with Blackie. I tried the method that Kesh suggested and guess who was heeling without a treat after a couple of tries? Blackie was!!!
I had him heel with the treat in my hand a couple of times untill I was almost sure he got it, and then I just put my hand in the same position without the treat and he still heeled!! Oh, did he get big bucks for that! He had a very good time and after a pretty long heel with a treat, we went on a walk loose leash style for an end-of-training reward.
After a couple more days, I'm hoping he'll get the heeling concept. Right now he is just following the treat, but in a couple more days....who knows! (Ok, I'll shut up now..... )
Old 04-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

You can always brag about how smart your dogs are!!! Blackie is just sharp as a tack!
Old 04-16-2005, 06:36 PM
no touchy

Congratulations!!! Go Blackie!!!!!
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

I love to hear the little details of improvement or advances that everyones' dogs make. That's fantastic. Yes, he'll get in the habit and it sounds like you're dedicated to making it happen. So, go girl and don't worry about sharing. That's what this place is for.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

I have another question. This time it is about Blackie's dog aggresion. This Thursday is when our next lesson is. My question is this: Will Blackie get more dog aggressive toward the dogs that we are training with because the shock of taking him to a new building, in a new place, with strange dogs has worn off, or will he eventually get used to them and learn to tolorate them?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Active Pup

My OES was aggressive, and I socialized her way too late. If I knew then what I know now, she probably would have been very different. It took awhile, but she was able to be around strange dogs in almost any situation as long as it did not involve them entering her house. With that said, it did not happen overnight. I took her either to dog beach or the park everyday and I think it took about a month before I even attempted to let her off the leash. Every dog is different. It sounds like you are doing a great job.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:26 PM
~3 Mutts~

YAY BLACKIE AND ROSE'S GAL!!! Sounds like you're doing awesome! Keep up the good work!!