Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

Exclamation OMG!!! What should I do?

My son went fishing early this morning and left the garage door open. I had one bag of garbage in there and Lyric got into it when he went out for his morning bathroom outing. It had about three small chicken bones (cooked) (I think a wing, thigh and drumstick from one of those TV dinners) in it and they're gone! I gave him a couple of pieces of bread and I don't know what else to do. Do I wait and see if he poops and they come out? What if they perforate his intestines? It's Saturday and only an emergency vet would be open. Do I just take him or do I wait for something? What do I wait for? Is this necessarily going to do something to him? I'm freaking out. It can be so hard sometimes living with someone else. I'm not use to having problems like this. I'm so careful about closing the door when the dogs are out...closing it period.

Has anyones dog ever eaten cooked chicken bones before?
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Pit Lover

Take him to the vet JUST TO BE SAFE. I wouldn't take any chances with something like that, because you never know.
If something happened, and you chose not to take him to the vet, you'd never forgive yourself.

They may x-ray, or induce vomiting. You can do that by putting a little peroxide in his mouth.

GOOD LUCK! I hope he;ll be ok. I'll be thinking of you!
Old 11-18-2006, 10:23 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Our Sheltie got into the trash and ate some cooked chicken bones when she was young... she ate a lot of them too!
I was very worried, and we fed her some bread also. She passed them, though, no problem (well, other than some gas LOL)
Does he normally chew his food pretty well before swallowing?
I would keep an eye on her, maybe call the vet and let them know - see what they say, but they'll probably tell you to just keep an eye on her as well...

Good luck... keep us updated

edit: I guess we posted at the same time haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulce Pit Bull View Post
Take him to the vet JUST TO BE SAFE. I wouldn't take any chances with something like that, because you never know.
If something happened, and you chose not to take him to the vet, you'd never forgive yourself.

They may x-ray, or induce vomiting. You can do that by putting a little peroxide in his mouth.

GOOD LUCK! I hope he;ll be ok. I'll be thinking of you!
I have to say I disagree with inducing vomiting... My vet told me that it can do more damage going back up but I'm not an expert

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Pit Lover

If you WERE to wait, the bones could splinter, and puncture the intestine, or cause blockage. I know Dobies have sensitive intestinal traps
Old 11-18-2006, 10:32 AM
overdogged

call the e-vet and ask THEM what to do. that's why they're there.

the one time my dogs got into the trash, they snagged half a chicken worth of cooked bones. they both were fine, but some dogs aren't.

vomiting, not eating, straining to poop, blood in the poop, lethargy, trouble getting comfortable are the things to watch for.

i hope lyric is just fine!
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Top Dog

I agree with Elegy. They aren't going to rush him into emergency surgery if he's acting just fine. If he was symptomatic I'd rush him in. If he seems fine I'd watch and wait and just call. Lots of dogs have eaten chicken bones and been ok. Hopefully he'll get away with it.How long ago was this?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Yes, Brattina, I'd be afraid to induce vomitting because the esophagus has thinner mucous membrane than the intestines and it could cause more damage. Those juices in the stomach (HCL) hopefully will break them down.

My son came home and he said his dog got into chicken bones a lot of times and nothing happened. But I will call the vet and report back.

You're right Dulce...I'd never forgive myself. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks Elegy. I'm glad your dog made it through.

I'll go call the vet now.

Missed your post Sam....yes...I am sure some past dogs of mine must have gotten into stuff like that and were fine. I don't really remember specifically, but it seems to me this has happened before. My memory is getting foggy lately. A-r-r-g-g-g.

Thanks for the help.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

I know through the years mine have gotten into bones with no problems . Watch carefully for any changes .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Thanks guys! I just now called the vet's and she said to just watch him and if he acts abnormally to give a call back....that most dogs get through it fine, some don't.

Thanks for the support.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-18-2006, 11:12 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

So sorry, Doberluv!

I hope he is okay, keep us posted and I'll keep y'all in my thoughts!