Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-15-2006, 12:51 PM
We are Home.

Default Medicine Question

IS there anything i should be worried about with the meds they gave Walker
Metronidazole
and canine pepto bismol(sp?) the vet didnt put the exact name on the bottle but she described it as canine pepto bismol.
and what is EN and ID food?

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-15-2006, 05:48 PM
overdogged

he's got diarrhea i'm guessing?

i/d and EN are prescription bland foods designed to be easy on the digestive tract.

no, i wouldn't be worried about the medications. give them as prescribed.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I wouldn't worry about the meds that were prescribed. Metronidazole is a very common medicine given for diarrhea. I've never heard of 'canine pepto bismol,' though...

i/d is the Science Diet intestinal diet... and I'm pretty sure that EN is a Purina prescription diet.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Puppy Dog

Peoples been known to give their pets pepto bismol. I have heard some say its actually worked on pets. What I have heard that they do is put a capful of pepto bismol into their food and mix it with the food. I am sure it wont hurt them if you dont put a whole lot in there. Some vets actually promote small doses of pepto bismol to pet owners with pets that have diarehea. It cuts down medicine costs
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Twin 2.0

Yes, EN is a Purina Vet Diet...low fat, low carbs, moderate protein. It's what we feed as the "house diet" at work because it doesn't cause the diahrrea and upset stomach in most dogs that usually goes along with switching foods in a short amount of time.

Metron is a very bitter tasting pill, so make sure you hide it well in something very tasty! I like cream cheese the best, if he's not actively still vomiting.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:54 PM
We are Home.

is there something i cn give besides the ID and EN because i cant afford more food for one and dont want to put him on that crap even for a few days? and i just wanted to make sure that the meds were ok because one dr tried to put scirracco on phenobarbital without telling us about the liver stuff

and yes its diarehha he has a form of gastritis from a ham bone i bought him thats the short version of the story LOL.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-16-2006, 06:39 PM
Felurian

Try some boiled chicken with either some brown rice or potato, depending on what he'll tolerate best or likes best, Breeze.

Or give him some canned pumpkin and see if that doesn't help the diarrhea

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

What's wrong with I/D and EN? It's not 'crap' it's formulated dog food to be easiest on their track so they don't throw up a lot. We also us I/D at our clinic as the 'house food' as zoom called it for the same reason she said.

It's expensive, yes, but you don't have to use it for long, just til his stools harden back up and he's better.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 11-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

With metronidazole, make sure you watch your dog closely for neurological problems. Metronidazole is prescribed regularly and generally well tolerated, but it nearly killed my Great Dane. He had a severe neurological reaction to it and had to spend a week at the neurologoist's office. When he came home, he still could not walk and had lost over 50 lbs. It was horribly scary and I didn't know if he would ever walk again.

So, with that being said, just watch for any strange neurological symptoms like staggering, twitching rear legs, nystagmas etc. When I worked at the vet clinic for a 5 year span, my dog was the only dog to ever react to it.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
What's wrong with I/D and EN? It's not 'crap' it's formulated dog food to be easiest on their track so they don't throw up a lot. We also us I/D at our clinic as the 'house food' as zoom called it for the same reason she said.

It's expensive, yes, but you don't have to use it for long, just til his stools harden back up and he's better.
The "crap component" comes into play with the quality of the ingredients, GO, not the kind

I'd personally raise 20 hells with a health clinic that fed it to my dogs without my consent - which would be the only way it would be fed to them!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian