Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Momma Destiny Momma Destiny is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Exclamation My Shih-tzu ate some chocolate. Please help

I have a 1 year old shih-tzu and she is about 4 lbs (I think). She got into a tubberware container (smart little bugger) and I had chocolate chip banana bread in it (about 3 thick slices). I had about 2 cups of chocolate chips in one loaf and 6 muffins so I am not sure if I should worry. She ate it in the middle of the night and threw up about 20 minutes ago and is shivering a bit (starting to calm down a bit now). Does any one know if she will be ok now that she threw it up and shivering is starting to subside (just started to subside)??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2006, 10:43 AM
dr2little's Avatar
dr2little dr2little is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Destiny View Post
I have a 1 year old shih-tzu and she is about 4 lbs (I think). She got into a tubberware container (smart little bugger) and I had chocolate chip banana bread in it (about 3 thick slices). I had about 2 cups of chocolate chips in one loaf and 6 muffins so I am not sure if I should worry. She ate it in the middle of the night and threw up about 20 minutes ago and is shivering a bit (starting to calm down a bit now). Does any one know if she will be ok now that she threw it up and shivering is starting to subside (just started to subside)??
I'd still call the Vet. The shivering is a worry and due to her size I'd just be on the safe side. If it was several hours ago the theobromine is already in her system, I don't know what they can do but please call them anyway.

Good luck and please give us an update post, I'll be thinking of you and wondering..
__________________


I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2006, 10:53 AM
GlassOnion's Avatar
GlassOnion GlassOnion is offline
Thanks, and Gig 'em.
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 9,065
Default

Yes definately call the vet. Tell them what you told us and they can decide what to do about it.

Chocolate in small doses isn't bad per se but a dog's system can not handle theobromine and with such a small dog it wouldn't take much. Also it depends on what kind of chocolate you used (baker's chocolate being the worst)
__________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

Let us know !!!
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Momma Destiny Momma Destiny is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks everyone. She is running around like her normal maniac self again so I am not worried anymore. I will still keep a close eye on her though. Thanks again!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

You might want to read this for future reference

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-15-2006, 02:54 PM
for_dogs_sake's Avatar
for_dogs_sake for_dogs_sake is offline
Hannibal and Ralphies Mom
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport, Gwent, UK
Posts: 17
Default

Please take her to the vets NOW, or an emergency clinic.
Was it dark/cooking chocolate? This choc contains 10 times more theobromine than milk choc and is particularly toxic.
Even though she may seem ok now the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours and death can follow in a further 24 hours.

I dont want to be a scare monger but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Besides, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning include tremors, Hyperactivity, vomiting (you have already mentioned these three) as well as diarrhea, irregular heartbeat and seizures.
I would feel better if you seek veterinary advice/attention and please let us know how she is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM
~Dixie's_Mom~'s Avatar
~Dixie's_Mom~ ~Dixie's_Mom~ is offline
♥Chloe & Violet♥
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,135
Default

Oh no!!! Please get her to a vets office! I hope she's alright!!!!
__________________
Lauren
Don't fear tomorrow.


Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Chemikal Chemikal is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 33
Default

Chocolate is a toxic thing for any animal. Vets told me with lucky to keep him off chocolate cause he has epselepsy. I cant give him anything with sugar in it. I dont think sugar is good for animals. I also agree to take him to the vet. Theyll probably give him a diaretic to make him "lose" the chocolate
__________________
Pet Lovers Community
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
GlassOnion's Avatar
GlassOnion GlassOnion is offline
Thanks, and Gig 'em.
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tejas
Posts: 9,065
Default

Sugar is fine for dogs, it's all over their dog food.

Dogs can't exist without sugars.
__________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site