Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Active Pup

Exclamation My Shih-tzu ate some chocolate. Please help

I have a 1 year old shih-tzu and she is about 4 lbs (I think). She got into a tubberware container (smart little bugger) and I had chocolate chip banana bread in it (about 3 thick slices). I had about 2 cups of chocolate chips in one loaf and 6 muffins so I am not sure if I should worry. She ate it in the middle of the night and threw up about 20 minutes ago and is shivering a bit (starting to calm down a bit now). Does any one know if she will be ok now that she threw it up and shivering is starting to subside (just started to subside)??
Old 11-15-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Destiny View Post
I have a 1 year old shih-tzu and she is about 4 lbs (I think). She got into a tubberware container (smart little bugger) and I had chocolate chip banana bread in it (about 3 thick slices). I had about 2 cups of chocolate chips in one loaf and 6 muffins so I am not sure if I should worry. She ate it in the middle of the night and threw up about 20 minutes ago and is shivering a bit (starting to calm down a bit now). Does any one know if she will be ok now that she threw it up and shivering is starting to subside (just started to subside)??
I'd still call the Vet. The shivering is a worry and due to her size I'd just be on the safe side. If it was several hours ago the theobromine is already in her system, I don't know what they can do but please call them anyway.

Good luck and please give us an update post, I'll be thinking of you and wondering..

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 11-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Yes definately call the vet. Tell them what you told us and they can decide what to do about it.

Chocolate in small doses isn't bad per se but a dog's system can not handle theobromine and with such a small dog it wouldn't take much. Also it depends on what kind of chocolate you used (baker's chocolate being the worst)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

Let us know !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Active Pup

Thanks everyone. She is running around like her normal maniac self again so I am not worried anymore. I will still keep a close eye on her though. Thanks again!!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Felurian

You might want to read this for future reference

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Hannibal and Ralphies Mom

Please take her to the vets NOW, or an emergency clinic.
Was it dark/cooking chocolate? This choc contains 10 times more theobromine than milk choc and is particularly toxic.
Even though she may seem ok now the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours and death can follow in a further 24 hours.

I dont want to be a scare monger but it is better to be safe than sorry.

Besides, the symptoms of chocolate poisoning include tremors, Hyperactivity, vomiting (you have already mentioned these three) as well as diarrhea, irregular heartbeat and seizures.
I would feel better if you seek veterinary advice/attention and please let us know how she is.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Oh no!!! Please get her to a vets office! I hope she's alright!!!!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 11-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Puppy Dog

Chocolate is a toxic thing for any animal. Vets told me with lucky to keep him off chocolate cause he has epselepsy. I cant give him anything with sugar in it. I dont think sugar is good for animals. I also agree to take him to the vet. Theyll probably give him a diaretic to make him "lose" the chocolate
Old 11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Sugar is fine for dogs, it's all over their dog food.

Dogs can't exist without sugars.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown