Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Harumph™©®

Actually she does know Leave It but falls off the wagon when she's really excited. She does great with food and foreign "things" she picks up though. She needs more work on it, but she's coming along. No way she was into Leave It this morning. She was far too confoozeled.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Top Dog

Oh heck! LOL. Lyric does that a little bit too. When you have four dogs and one of them is a Doberman, you need to have a sense of humor to survive and not get too riled up. LOL. I love how my dogs get silly and I love to play a little with them while I dry them off. I ruff 'em up and let them grab the end of the towel, then I grab it and ruff them up some more. It just makes for more good times associated with the dreaded bath. BUT....after a little silliness, I tell Lyric (he's the biggest) in a calm voice, "Enough.......stand/ stay." And "leave it" if I need to...if he persists for a couple more seconds while he settles down. (I've actually practiced going back and forth, from play to stand/stay, back to play and then stand/stay and so forth.) He can play tug with an old rag/towel and he can be dried off too with it. It's just a matter of teaching you dog to settle down and see the difference between your instigated tug of war game and your having had enough of it and the drying with a towel. If you're really serious about it all, don't do it my way. Do what the others said. LOL. Tug of war does need to be instigated by only you regardless of what toy you use. Make him wait till you give the word. Maybe you should vary the toys, from a rope to a rag to a stick so he doesn't make such a strong association with the towel for that purpose.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-15-2006, 12:42 AM
Harumph™©®

Yeah Towels are out. lol

This wasn't play as in rubadub play. She was keeping me from drying her at all. I wasn't used to it. I wanted her to stop. I am used to calmly drying her off, roughly yes, but no TUG. So I was off guard too and she picked up on it. As I said, she knows things like Leave It but she's not an expert at it yet. She's seven months old and still wants to be a puppy sometimes. Our trainer told me more than once that I expect more from her than I should sometimes. She just finished a series of classes with others who went through basic obedience training like she did. The youngest dog there was a year old. Then there was Tosca and she did as well as any of them by the third class. So I really have to cut her some slack and let her Puppy herself sometimes and I forget. I think that's what set her off on the frustrated thing. She was such a puppy and I realized she just didn't get it and it was my job to show her without frustrating her. I mean she's over here right now quacking her duckie toys. She's a kid. I just forget sometimes. Shame on me.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Top Dog

Don't worry. She'll grow up and be an adult and before you know it, she'll be a senior. Let her be a puppy and don't take things too seriously. Dry her off the best you can and meanwhile she can be learning "stand stay" at other times when you're not trying to dry her off. You can practice with a small wash cloth so it's not as enticing...practice her stand stay to be brushed and wiped. She'll get it. A little puppy stuff is to be expected and wanted. You want her to develop her little personality too while at the same time she learns a little of this and a little of that. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Harumph™©®

Thank you Doberluv. I have to remind myself I am a very demanding person of myself. There is no reason why I should do the same to Tosca. She's so dang smart that it's VERY easy to forget her age! Honestly, I knew collies were smart but I never expected this! Anyways, I piddled most of the afternoon away with her, just Tosca and me. We went to a field she likes to go to romp. She forgave me five minutes after it was over. Forgiving myself took longer. lol.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 AM
Top Dog

Oh heck. It's not a big deal Toscasmom. We all get irritated by the little monsters sometimes. I'm glad you had a good afternoon. Dobermans are smart too. Lyric is so quick to learn things if I really buckle down and work on it. But he's so dang fun and such a goof ball, I let him get away with murder sometimes. It must be my inner child. LOL.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Show Dog

You should bring her to my house!!!!!!

Talk about frustrating your dog with mixed messages....but, really, Colt gets over things really quick and I'm sure Tosca does to - very forgiving.

I have definitely been COLLIED! Love him like one of my children and, WOW, I NEVER thought my children would embrace him the way that they have. Brings tears to my eyes!! He is so eager to please. I can't believe how stressed I was in the beginning but as soon as I relaxed, BANG, he started to really develop and follow commands. He loves to play and be challenged but, of course, with so many of us, it can be confusing for the poor little guy. Now I put the Kids in the crate when things get out of hand !!! I'll send a picture.....

PS - I show him Toscas picture all the time - I think he's in LOVE........
Old 11-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Harumph™©®

Quote:
Now I put the Kids in the crate when things get out of hand !!! I'll send a picture.....
ROFL!

Quote:
PS - I show him Toscas picture all the time - I think he's in LOVE........

Don't mention this to Hudson.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

See, in my mind it's a simple process of teaching the dog that rolled up towel means tug, but open towel means dry. You could work on this by playing tug with the play-towel, and then settling her and wiping her with the opened towel. Go back and forth and do this. She's just making too broad of a generalization and needs to learn the difference. Buying a rope toy won't necessarily "fix" the generalization - she could just revert to any rope is a tug toy, which could even generalize further to the leash....

Teach her the difference, use a DIFFERENT command for leaving it - Leave It means don't touch that, maybe OUT can mean Leave the Tug Toy.

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscasMom View Post
Don't mention this to Hudson.
Yeah, Hudson says Colt better back off!!!

Oh Tosca's Mom, you crack me up so much. It's so sweet how you felt so guilty about the whole thing. What a bright one Tosca is!!!

I think Poodlemom's advice sounded perfect to me.

Hudson is ALWAYS trying to initiate play around here. It's cute sometimes, and darned inconvenient at others. I just read the book called "My Smart Puppy". It just came out last month. It is absolutely wonderful, and I recommend it to everyone. Great advice in there on communicating effectively with your poochie.

[Hudson's Blog] -- [Dogster Page] -- [My Website]