Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Active Pup

Default Puppy having diarrhea, need suggestion.

My 13 week old puli had diarrhea this morning. He poop like normal and ended with a little water in the end.

He did it again in the kitchen about 1.5 hours later, just very tiny bit of watery stuff with poop color, maybe just couple drops.

About 5 hours later, he had diarrhea again, this time in the crate, watery poop.

I am not sure what to do at this moment. I know I need to give him a lot of water to prevent dehydration. Should I cut down on the feeding or feed him something else?
I am currently feeding him Iams for puppy and he has all the vaccinations.

Since he pooped in the crate, is it ok to give him a shower? He is still very active and doing everything like normal, but the diarrhea worries me since he is only 13 weeks old. Should I wait a day or two before I take him to the vet?

Thanks a lot in advnace.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:29 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

I would take a stool sample to the vet and have him look at it. There are so many reasons why your pup may have diahrea.
I would try giving him some canned pumpkin. And I would also consider changing foods. Iams is not the best food. Canidea, Innova, Nutro, Royal Canin, Any of those are better than Iams.
Yes please do shower him. Keep his dishes clean. Clean up his runny poo the best you can and pour a 50/50 solution of bleach on the runny poo spots.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

No, do not wait a day or two before taking him to the vet. At 13 weeks of age he can't wait. If the diarrhea continues into the night, he could be too dehyrdrated and might need emergency treatment. Puppies can go down hill quickly with diarrhea.

He's fully, completely vaccinated at 13 weeks of age? Rabies too? How long ago?

U-CD Can. CH. Shay CD CGN HIC
UKC/Can. CH. Trouble and Can. CH. Skye
... youngsters Jesse, Tally, and Constantine
AND 9 little baby Tervs!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Active Pup

His vaccinations are complete. Had rabies about 2 weeks ago. He is actually 14 weeks old.

I was planning to switch to natural choice after that Iam, what do you guys think about this brand? So many people recommended them to me.
http://www.heartypet.com/prodimages/...uppy_large.jpg

The only reason I was afraid to shower him is because I am afraid he might catch cold or something while his body is weak from the diarrhea.

Btw, when you guys say canned pumpkin, are you talking about these?
http://home.cogeco.ca/~vyorke/105-0557_IMG.JPG

Thanks a lot
Old 11-14-2006, 04:12 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Diarrhea of this type at 13 weeks is an EMERGENCY.

Get this puppy to your vet.

NOW.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Training the Trainer

I too would take him to the vet. He is such a young puppy, and diarrhoea may not seem all that serious to us, but for a very young, tiny thing, it can certainly be serious.

It's not uncommon for new puppies to have a bit of a runny stool, but if you are concerned that he is too weak to have a shower, he should be at the vet immediately.

And about IAMS, not only is it not that good, but IAMS are being investigated for 27 animal rights violations because of the animal testing in their laboratories and their dreadful treatment of the animals in their `care'. I would avoid them like the plague

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Pit Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuliRules View Post
My 13 week old puli had diarrhea this morning. He poop like normal and ended with a little water in the end.

He did it again in the kitchen about 1.5 hours later, just very tiny bit of watery stuff with poop color, maybe just couple drops.

About 5 hours later, he had diarrhea again, this time in the crate, watery poop.

I am not sure what to do at this moment. I know I need to give him a lot of water to prevent dehydration. Should I cut down on the feeding or feed him something else?
I am currently feeding him Iams for puppy and he has all the vaccinations.

Since he pooped in the crate, is it ok to give him a shower? He is still very active and doing everything like normal, but the diarrhea worries me since he is only 13 weeks old. Should I wait a day or two before I take him to the vet?

Thanks a lot in advnace.
Iams is really poor quality food. You SHOULD change your food, but do it slowly.

Oh, he's only 13 weeks? He's a puppy, an puppies get diarrhea sometimes. Heck, my adult dog gets it sometimes too.

I woul wait a couple days, because it could clear up on its own. If it hasn't stoppe in 2 days, take him to the vet
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Pit Lover

LOL-nevermind, everyone disagrees with me. Take him to the vet
Old 11-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Hannibal and Ralphies Mom

Yup take him to the vet, for the reasons listed above, puppies can dehydrate quickly and any form of vomiting or diarrhea in a dog that young can be serious if left unattended.
Also agree with the posts on IAMS. I have had a look at Natures Choice and the ingredients and all seems to be ok. Chicken meal is the #1 ingredient which is great, i couldn't see corn in there which is fab...overall i would say it is fine. Much Much better than IAMS at any rate. The only thing that i did notice was beet pulp which has mixed reviews.
Beet pulp is rather controversial, many think that it is an excellent additive and source of fiber and that all sugar has been completely extracted before being added as a pet food ingredients others think that it causes Kidneys and liver work overtime and that Sugar is a contributing factor to ear infections and cataracts.
As it seems to be the only 'Problem ingredient' (and that is at a stretch) i dont see any problems.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Puppy Dog

What kind of dog food you feeding him? If you have cats and you think he might be eating catfood, That could be your problem. Catfood is to hard for dogs to digest as it alot more moist then the dog food. Is he on soft dog food? Is he drinking water? I suggest you take him to the vet as hes probably dehydrated.