Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

Default Who's up for it ??!!

let's group and do something about these puppy mills and pet stores. !! If everyone would answer a paper ad, visit a pet store, stop by "puppies for sale" sign and try to educate these people it might help. I used to call ads and ask questions e.g. golden retrievers .....then tell them why I would never be interested in their pups. Yes, if only one of 20 listened I felt succesfull. One called me years later and said they heeded what I said. Had their dog OFA'd etc etc and felt they had better homes for their babies.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

that's excellent to know...around here people can still be pretty clueless..sometimes I make the effort to go into pet stores and let people know why they shouldn't even BE there looking at those dogs in the first place..some give me dirty looks but alot of them are like "Oh really? I had NO idea"...sadly, its just a lack of education..and what's more unfortunate is that nobody takes the initiative for these important facts to be taught in schools (where I believe it should all start...the younger the generation being exposed to these facts, the more that will be done about it in the future is what I believe)...

But anywho...that's just my perfect world...heh..

there are also some organizations that organize monthly protests in front of pet stores or on busy street corners and hand out pamphlets...it can be as little as five people or as many as 100..it doesn't really matter..just grab a few pamphlets (or make your own) and pass it out to people..you'd be surprised at how many folks will be shocked by what they never even knew existed!

That's my suggestion...and any time you suspect puppy mill action going on, give the SPCA a call..they'll be glad to go and check it out...

Old 04-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I feel so left out ....I have NEVER seen any dogs for sale in pets stores, other than the ones at petsmart, but that's different.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Felurian

Then you're very lucky!

Serious note: be sure you aren't handing out pamphlets in malls or other places where soliciting is prohibited without having the proper permission.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

I tried to education someone at the petstore but they just don't listen. They think they are getting better dogs at pet store than getting it from a local breeder. Im just like what are you thinking? I don't know what it is, maybe they just want that feeling that they are getting a dog from a nice pet store. Don't know
Old 04-13-2005, 06:22 PM
no touchy

I'm putting together fliers about puppy mills, with a little section on rescuing a puppy instead of purchasing one from a store--and with the puppy pictures on there, I think it should conince a lot of people . I'm going to pass them out to all of my neighbors, and hope to get some friends together to hold a sale or something to send to a local shelter. At the sale we'd have a booth complete with info on mills. Ah, I can't wait!!
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

Good luck !!!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

Gaddy! I was going to suggest the same thing. Up here, though it is rare to find a pet store puppy. There are only a couple of mom and pa shops with them.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:42 AM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcreed
Gaddy! I was going to suggest the same thing. Up here, though it is rare to find a pet store puppy. There are only a couple of mom and pa shops with them.
I cannot tell you how many "pekeapoos" I see every day around here. As far as petshops.....there are only a few, but they're making big bucks offa the people around here. I'd say we need it here, lol!!
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:47 AM
boxers-r-us

gaddy, would you be willing to send me some of the info your using (or maybe some web sites I could go to or something to get some info)? I would love to make fliers/brochures too but I'm unsure on the type of info to use/give. I've thought about it for a long time and I have several locations I'd like to leave them but I'm kinda clueless on how to start - I can handle the actual layout part pretty well, it's the info to put there that I need a jump start on .