Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Puppy Dog

Default More Questions about Brittany vs. Lab

Debating on which breed I should go with...

How much does the Brittany shed as opposed to the lab?

I want to do some agility stuff w/ my dogs, is the Brittany a faster dog for it's height class as opposed to the lab?

I want to hunt with them... We already addressed that.

I want them to water retrieve, the lab is obviously better in that but by how much?

Basically which dog is better for doing just about everything you can do with your dog w/ the exception of herding trials? Or are they both the same.

Thx in advance.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

I've know Brittanys that are calm....Brittany's that are hyper.. Labs that are calm...Labs that are hyper. Don't know of Brittany's shedding, but one granddog lab sheds more than my golden....the other less than my Golden. What you do with either breed will be what you put into them. You get no guarantee with either breed. Depends on breeder and you . That's why you get what you see at shelters or rescue.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Don't encourage me..

I know a Brittany that sheds just as much if nott more than a Lab! I think it really depends on how much room you have! If you have a big house and are looking for an all round family dog I would suggest a Lab. They are friendly, quite easily trained with the aid of food, they normally love water! Although I don't know too many Labs that do agility. Maybe you are asking too much from this dog!! They are after all dogs not performing seals!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

I've got a question for Lab owners.(breeders). Is there a difference in the personality between the colors ? Most yellow labs I've know are quite calm...some black ones hyper and the chocolates very hyper. Just wondering.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I've got a question for Lab owners.(breeders). Is there a difference in the personality between the colors ? Most yellow labs I've know are quite calm...some black ones hyper and the chocolates very hyper. Just wondering.
I will have to chime in, here. I think bubbatd has gotten her info from "personal" experience. I think the whole lab thing, coming in three different colors thus having different personality traits, is a myth. I've known really hyper and really calm labs in black/yellow/chocolate. Could goldens have the same thing going? E.g. are the lighter ones more hyper? Are the red ones more sedate? I think it ALL has to do with genetics (and upbringing, of course!). But, to add to her post, I read somewhere (can't remember where, sorry!) that chocolates were kind of a freak of nature. That originally labs were bred to be black or yellow and somewhere chocolates came out when the genes crossed just right. And those dogs weren't as "superior" as the yellows and blacks (mentally). Has anyone heard this? I just babysat a chocolate for a week for a friend and she seemed very smart and was fine (hyper, but fine). But just wondered if anyone else has some history to this color thing with labs?? It would be very interesting to hear! You could apply this to many breeds. Poodles, etc.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

As to Golden Retrievers.... The original golden were honey colored ...now you have the very light ( judges like them ) to the very dark. In breeding, I learned that most of the darker goldens were from utility bred goldens (obedience or field dogs) and were more hyper only because of needed speed animation for show purposes. I you go to a Golden Retriever show, you'll see the majority of the lighter goldens place 1,2,3, and in obedience/ field work usually don't place as high. Love them all!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

Agility, hunting, retrieving................oh my

Are you sure you aren't looking for a working robot? ...please just don't overwork the poor dog...whichever one you decide to go with...
Old 04-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
As to Golden Retrievers.... The original golden were honey colored ...now you have the very light ( judges like them ) to the very dark. In breeding, I learned that most of the darker goldens were from utility bred goldens (obedience or field dogs) and were more hyper only because of needed speed animation for show purposes. I you go to a Golden Retriever show, you'll see the majority of the lighter goldens place 1,2,3, and in obedience/ field work usually don't place as high. Love them all!

Just like English Springer Spaniels, Show dogs are larger, longer legged and have finer features where as the working dogs are samller, stockier and Gutzier looking!! I can tell instantly a working dog from a show dog and they are the same breed!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 AM
no touchy

Quote:
I've got a question for Lab owners. Is there a difference in the personality between the colors ?
No. Labs are known to be very hyper as puppies, though some are very calm. I have a Chocolate and she is a very calm, sweet, loving dog.

Quote:
I want them to water retrieve, the lab is obviously better in that but by how much?
Labs are obviously wonderful retrievers, but it does require training.

Quote:
How much does the Brittany shed as opposed to the lab?
Labs shed A LOT. In the summer, I swear I could fill a garbage bag with May's fur.

Quote:
I want to do some agility stuff w/ my dogs, is the Brittany a faster dog for it's height class as opposed to the lab?
Labs are pretty fast dogs, especially when they need to be.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Top Dog

Have you decided yet ??