Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

Yeah... I was just teasing my Mom. But she needs kept in check sometimes! LOL...
Anywho... what did the petstore say about your Pom? I know your were already attached and you were very young. But I just wonder what those people "really" do? I shudder to think, as they're not on the up and up anyway. I'll never forget about 5 or 6 years ago I went into one of those mall pet stores and saw a poor golden retriever, probably at least 5 months old, crammed into one of those little cages. And you know they never get out to pot or get socialized. I broke my heart and I vowed never to set foot into one of those stores again...
Old 04-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Big Mutts

Oh, sorry I didn't elaborate. We had her for her whole life (15 years). We've been told she was either big b/c they were inbreeding or she was a mix. But we have no clue. She looked like a fox. We go in sometimes to the petstores (not very often), it is so sad. And some of them get so big in those tiny cages, I always wondered what they do with them when they get to old. Ya know "everyone wants a puppy"
Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Big Mutts

You can see Buffy pic in Dog picures under Ga peach, I don't know why I don't have option for manage attachments in this thread Do you and your mom live close?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

Sorry EliNHunter ...if you notice both our posts came in at same time ...my BTW should have followed my post...sorry for confusion to all .
Old 04-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapeach
You can see Buffy pic in Dog picures under Ga peach, I don't know why I don't have option for manage attachments in this thread Do you and your mom live close?
Hi again... yes, my Mom and I live about 5 miles apart but seem to correspond mostly on this board! I am going to go try and find your sweet Buffy picture now then will log off and go to bed with my Hunter. Sweet dreams!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:17 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNHunter
The threads about shooting cats and selling 4-5 week puppies, etc. has got me wanting to start a thread on what we can do to help curb the problem. Who knows, maybe we could be a grass roots organization (yet another to help try and educate and lobby for a change?).

I really think the majority of "loving" pet owners are in it for the good. They spay/neuter their pets. Many shelters and humane societies spay/neuter before the animals can be adopted. And that's good. Many shelter and humane societies give a "certificate" towards spay/neuter. Bad idea. They either follow through with the cause, or they don't. If someone can't afford to spay/neuter their pet, then they can't afford the pet.

There needs to be more regulation on who gets to breed. I know this sounds simple, and I know it's NOT! Don't get me wrong. But there's GOT to be a line drawn somewhere. To begin with, there should be NO pets sold in petstores. If that stops, the puppymills, etc. stop (or it will go underground, for sure). Second of all, there needs to be strict regulations on breeders. No more backyard breeders where they think it would be cute to breed their golden to a poodle down the road and start selling Golden Doodles without knowing what the h*ll they're doing. And unless you are "furthering the breed" for show or for breeding in LIMITED instances, you are not to breed your dog.

Is this so far-fetched in our future? There will always be "strays" and those that fall through the cracks. But, I am at least encouraged by the rights our animals are receiving more and more these days. Your thoughts are welcome to this subject!
I think that you should be able to breed your dog, if you can proove there is good reason.
like, if you get a lovely dog, you wanna follow on the line. Have a little reminder forever. But i think there should be some refulations/
Old 04-13-2005, 06:09 AM
I love Jack Russells!

It would be nice to have a law but the big questions are:

How will they enforce it? What would the punishment be? Would there be rewards for people who comply with the laws?

I personally prefer an educational campaign. The more people understand about pets the more likely they are to make the better choice. There are few people out there who literally breed to see them die. Most who don't spay/neuter just don't understand the facts so education would be better.

Each one of us knows more than a hundred people. If we each had a Pet Education Party with adults and children, we could really make a difference in our local community. What do you think about that idea?

A dog really does cure what ails you!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Don't encourage me..

Why can't there be a national breeders authority?!! For example, I wouldn't get my windows repalced by anyone who wasn't a member of the National Glazing Federation! This shows that they have been tested and affiliated and of a sufficient quality to be a member of the organisation! Something like that would be good for breeding, they could have spot checks and the authority to sieze puppies on the spot and reposess properties!! Good reputable breeders would have nothing to worry about, and backyard breeders would soon be irradicated!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 04-13-2005, 09:11 AM
Felurian

I'm never quick to embrace the idea of more laws. I just dislike the idea of handing politically motivated governments more power and authority to interfere, and more importantly, giving people more excuses for walking away from being responsible for their own actions.

That said, however, I do favor expanding our definitions of animal cruelty to include overbreeding animals, more stringent requirements on housing, etc., and to include those actions under the sections that are defined as felonious.

I agree completely with JackRussGirl that education is the ultimate answer - it just takes awhile.

Prosecution is, at best, a stop-gap measure to deal with the immediate problem, and if we aren't taking every opportunity to educate others, whether it is in casual conversation or a more formal approach, then we are also contributing to the problem.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Puppy Dog

Hi, I just wanted to add a little story about my experince with a pet store. My sister and I were at the mall and decided to go into the pet store to look around. All the animals in the store looked sick, the bunnies were lying down and breathing extemely heavy, the lizards looked real skiny and had mites on them, the puppies, well lets just say they didn't look healthy. So when we left the mall, my sister called the local animal shelter in the area and a week later when we went to the mall the pet store was closed. A few months later it reopened and we went in again, nothing had really changed and the animals still looked sick, so we called again and again they closed down the store. But this time when it reopened it was under new management and the animals looked good, we also found out that about every other month someone was going in to check on the animals. So sometimes if you report a store to the local shelters or animal control department in the area, things happen.