Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Water Junkie

Default Bitch or Male?

I was wondering what are the pros and cons to owning a Bitch Show Dog and a Male Show Dog?

^^ This would be for the Golden I want to get!

I mean I know that you cannot show a bitch when in heat....and a Male can have, male DA!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

I dont Show my dogs but I do Hunt Test competitions. The problem with owning a female is this
Training is tough cause many bitches loose thier brains when they are in heat so there goes a month of training
Then if they go into heat during competitions you have to scratch out of the entries you have already paid for

If you dont plan on breeding I would get a male. You can always use him to stud out if he accomplishes a title.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Shiba Inu Slave

Without hesitation- GET A MALE.

Besides having to deal with the messiness of the heat cycle, bitches tend to blow their coat when it happens too. It's an absolute PAIN, and somehow ALWAYS happens right before a show date.

Most breeders will probably be less-likely to sell a newbie a bitch for their first show dog as well.

My first show dog is a bitch, but I have her on a co-ownership.

AND I can tell you that my NEXT show dog will be a male- until I'm TRULY ready to start my own breeding program, I'd like to be able to show an animal that doesn't get PMS the same time I do. (Horrible joke...but it's really true).

Old 11-09-2006, 08:19 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Remember why Lassie was always a male in the movies?

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
Remember why Lassie was always a male in the movies?
ROFL, no...I never watched Lassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura tantrum View Post
Without hesitation- GET A MALE.

Besides having to deal with the messiness of the heat cycle, bitches tend to blow their coat when it happens too. It's an absolute PAIN, and somehow ALWAYS happens right before a show date.

Most breeders will probably be less-likely to sell a newbie a bitch for their first show dog as well.

My first show dog is a bitch, but I have her on a co-ownership.

AND I can tell you that my NEXT show dog will be a male- until I'm TRULY ready to start my own breeding program, I'd like to be able to show an animal that doesn't get PMS the same time I do. (Horrible joke...but it's really true).
ROFL @ the PMS as the same time I get it thing!!

So I male would be a better choise?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

It's up to you. I'm hoping to show my next dog and will be getting a bitch (I have no choice with Winston in the family, as male Dobes shouldn't live with other males...that, and I just prefer almost everything else about females..). In my opinion, one gender isn't better than the other in general. It depends on which you prefer. Bitches will lose their coat when they're in heat, and as was stated above, it can be very messy. Especially with a long coated breed. They also tend to 'lose their brains' and won't focus on anything for a few weeks except finding a male. Likewise, if an intact male senses a bitch in heat, he will also lose his brains and it can be hard to get him to relax and stop looking for her. Intact males also tend to mark a lot (usually not in the house though). Having an intact dog, no matter what gender, can be a lot more difficult at times than if that dog were altered. All of that being said, a male would probably be the better choice for you and will also be easier to aquire.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN

Last edited by Toller_08; 11-09-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Chances are, a breeder will only sell you a male first time around. Many breeders are VERY careful with who they place their bitches with. I would definintley say start out with a male. I prefer females though. My first show dog was a bitch on a co-ownership. I like the attitude and edginess of the females. And just an FYI, you CAN show a bitch in heat, you just need to be polite and tell the judge before she goes over her. I personally think it's the males that lose their brains when a bitch is in heat in the ring next door!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Are you dead yet?

I wouldn't want to deal with a Golden blowing her coat every time she comes out of season. That's a LONG time that you can't show because you're waiting for her coat to grow back.

Males *can* have male-male aggression, but I wouldn't worry about it much in a Golden. Well-bred Goldens tend to be very polite with other dogs, provided they are well trained and socialized.

I agree with the others that if you aren't seriously thinking of breeding and mainly want the dog as a pet/show dog, a male would be the better choice.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Training the Trainer

Seems us chicks just get the rough end of the stick all the time doesn't it?? Dang hormones...

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm All Ears

Honestly, they're much more likely to sell you a male. I've got two male show potentials, and I'm hoping for a bitch the next time. Beau's breeder said she'd help me find one in a year or two when I'm ready. Males are a lot more easy going imo and heat is a pain to deal with.