Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-08-2006, 01:33 AM
Training the Trainer

Default They can't answer, so why keep asking?

Are there things you ask your dogs, as a matter of course, all the time, and then when you think about it you realise how ridiculous you sound?

At least, oh, say, 80 times a day, either Max or I will ask Ruby or Chester what they are doing. High-pitched silly voice, and never once, but maybe six or seven times in a row...`What are you doing? What are you doing? Hey? Puppy? What are you doing?' and usually in the throes of cuddles and love (which again, happen on average, about 80 times a day).

Recently I have started asking, `What's up puppycup?'

Now, clearly, they are not going to answer me. They never will. Why do I ask?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Top Dog

I'm with Skye all day and talk to her a lot. But the nuttiest is probably first thing in the morning. Just before the kids come thundering down the hall I sing:

Hey Skyoooo,

Skyooo, Skyoooo,
Whatcha gonna do,
Whatcha going to do when they come for you!

Cue the kids... and pandamonium.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Top Dog

LOL! I'm chuckling...Yes, I am guilty of making a fool of myself all the time. I talk way too much to my dogs. If I see a pine needle on a dog, "Oh...let me get that off of you." Or if I see muddy footprints after they come inside. "Oooooo...look what you did. Now I have to get the mop." Like they could give a rip if I have to get the mop. "What's that in your eye. Let me see." "Who wants to be first to get your nails Dremelled?" LOL. It's just constant. It must be a primate thing for us to squak and yip and yap. Chimpanzees do that a lot too, don't they? LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Training the Trainer

You know - you're right. Did you know that domestic cats only learned to meow because it was helpful to us? Cats rarely vocalise with each other, it's a learned trait, and even in colonies the only vocalising that is done is growling, hissing, snarling for either fighting, hunting and mating. Big wild cats do not meow, and neither do smaller wild cats such a ocelots and lynxes. Just domestic cats. With cats, it's all about scent and body language - the tilt of a tail or angle of whiskers speaks volumes between cats, but we would probably not notice. It's the same with dogs, too, but they were already barking before we came along...

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 11-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Chihuahua Mum

LOL I talk to Jesse all the time. I constantly ask "Hey sweetie, how're you? Are you good? Yeah? You feeling ok? Awww...you wanna scratch? Do ya?" Hahahaha! Yes, that's all at once, not one at a time.

If I see him wandering around I have to ask "Whatcha doing? You hungry sweetie? You wanna have a cuddle?" Sadly...cuddling always gets a "hell no!" look. He's a bit of a grumble bum when it comes to being picked up and cuddled.
No matter how many questions or how many times I ask I never feel stupid for some reason. lol

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 11-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
...............Chimpanzees do that a lot too, don't they? LOL.
*snort*, but the chimps understand each other.

I chatter away constantly to Quincy, he's a really good listener, LOL. Sure glad he can't answer because I'm sure I wouldn't want to ever hear, "Just cut with the gab and put the food in the darned bowl, will you? And while we're at it, you might want to consider using your words for a change! I'm three years old, "Who's Mommy's widdle baby boy?" is NOT a proper sentence!"
Old 11-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Angel Chicken

I often talk to Kona with one of those high-pitched voices.

My family are beginning to to wonder about my sanity!

"Kona... you wanna treat? OHHHHHHHHHHHH Kona, I gotta treat for her!! She gonna dance for the treat? What a good girl, she 's dancing!"
Old 11-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Dog Lover Boutique

I constantly talk to my gang. I think it is part of the reason I get so much companionship from them. I spend the majority of my time alone here so if I didn't have them to talk to...
Sometimes I think I am being silly but most of the time I don't think about it, just do it and it seems right.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:02 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Oh, yea, all the time. I talked to them so naturally my friends don't really notice I'm talking to my dogs until someone points it out

"Hey, whachya doin?"
"How are you?"
"Did you miss me?"
"Do you need a bath"
"Did Cory feed you, or are you hungry?"

and my personal favorite:
"Do these (jeans, shirt, sweater, ect) make me look fat?"

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Top Dog

This is cracking me up! Rubylove, you are a funny person...

Of course, I do the same. I even talk to my dog during walks, and I'm worried that people in the neighborhood think I am insane!

My most common questions to Hudson, which yes I understand he cannot answer are:

"Who's my perfect baby???"
"How you feeling today, Poochie-Woochie?"
"Are you hungry, boy?"
"You want your breakfast???"

LOL!

[Hudson's Blog] -- [Dogster Page] -- [My Website]